× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Restore a system image from a Readynas 202

beefmc
Aspirant

Restore a system image from a Readynas 202

I backed up a Windows 8 full image to the NAS and the drive on the Windows machine just failed. I have to install a new hard drive in the Windows machine, how do I restore the system image backup to the new hard drive?

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

IF the backup was made with the built-in windows backup utility, then Microsoft has a guide here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

There is a problem with this the built-in image restore -- the proper network driver is probably not on your system restore disc.  It is definately not on your install disc (if you even have one).  Without it, your NAS will not be available for a restore operation.  You can find ways to add the driver to the restore disc (though findng it can be hard), or you can do what's easier -- copy the image to a USB drive and restore from there.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

There is a problem with this the built-in image restore -- the proper network driver is probably not on your system restore disc. 

That is a good point.   Copying the image to USB is the most direct solution.

Message 4 of 8
beefmc
Aspirant

I failed to mention that the backup is on an iscsi LUN, I didn't see a way to offload that to my USB drive. I ended up iscsi connect from my laptop and copy to the USB drive. Is there a way to directly offload from the NAS?
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@beefmc wrote:
Is there a way to directly offload from the NAS?

No, the NAS doesn't have an iscsi initiator.

Message 6 of 8
beefmc
Aspirant

Yeah that's what I though, oh well still copying it to my portable usb drive at a paltry 11 mb/s boo. Oh well at least it's backed up! Problem is this business has 8 pro computers and 3 Windows 7 home which doesn't allow me to network connect to the NAS. Thanks everyone for all the advice!
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@beefmc wrote:
Problem is this business has 8 pro computers and 3 Windows 7 home which doesn't allow me to network connect to the NAS. 

You should be able to access Network shares from any version of windows 7. Maybe follow up on this issue on a new thread after you finish with the windows restore.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements