× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SMB1/2 access problems

sevilla315
Aspirant

SMB1/2 access problems

Hi all,

A few months ago I had some problems with the SMB1.0 problem after some Microsoft updates and I found some threads on here advising a few things here :  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Cant-connect-to-ReadyNas-Pro-SMB1-Protocol/td-p...

I ended up excuting some service updates and installing the NFS client and was able to connect to the NAS again but there were some problems, such as when I restarted, some or all of the mounts didn't work.

My Macrium backup seemed to still be able to do the backup fine to the RAID.

I discovered however that my other Dell laptop after the recent Windows April 2108 update which I didn't modify was able to create mounts to the RAID as before and the mounts stuck after restart no problems.

I then tried to uninstall the nfs client on my desktop but still can't connect to the RAID consistently.

How can I undo what I've done to my desktop (apart from the nfs uninstall which I did?) 

I did execute the commands as per the post above:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

Model: RNDP6620-200|ReadyNAS® Pro 6
Message 1 of 8
sevilla315
Aspirant

Actually after I uninstalled the nfs client I can't connect to the raid at all - can't map a drive, nor via http/s.

However when I had the nfs client installed, sometimes on restart when I clicked on a mappwd drive it couldn't connect, but not all of them.

I initially thought it was that I didn't have nfs access on the raid, which I gave and was able to create mounts to the raid, but then on restart some of these didn't connect, trying to mount them again just failed

The laptop where I didn't do any changes/installs, works consistently and on restart. Did Microsoft do something to allow backward compatibility with smb1?

Message 2 of 8
sevilla315
Aspirant

I guess I will reinstall nfs client again, even if it's a bit flaky.

If I upgrade to OS6, is there anything I have to do on the Windows side, and are there any problems using this as I've had with nfs?

I'll have to copy off all the data (probably 1.2TB) to some external drive so I can do this upgrade.

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@sevilla315 wrote:

Did Microsoft do something to allow backward compatibility with smb1?

On most Win10 systems you can simply go into "turn windows features on or off" and enable the SMB 1.0 clients.

Also, in some systems it will keep SMB 1.0 enabled until it hasn't been used for a while (3 months I think). 

Message 4 of 8
sevilla315
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes I did see this when I was turning on the nfs client again and also ticked smb1 cleant as well.

All's well for now, but I think I will go ahead with the conversion to OS6 if it's just a matter of copy out, factory reset (and select os6) and copy back. I assume that it should all work seamlessly after that?

Cheers,

Steve

Message 5 of 8
bedlam1
Prodigy

Yes it will, just follow the guide here, partcularly the update Bios whilst still running 4.2.xx LINK

Read all posts

Read ALL posts

Message 6 of 8
sevilla315
Aspirant

Many thanks, I've updated the bios, just need to backup all the data onto usb drive, there's > 1TB of data so will take some time.

Cheers,

Steve

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Note that whilst updating the BIOS it is important not to interrupt power to the NAS. It's not essential to update the BIOS on your system and if you have the Pro 6 you should already have the latest BIOS dated 07/26/2010.

The add-on doesn't check to see if you have the latest BIOS already installed.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements