× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Server is unavailable always at the same time

NATfrank
Aspirant

Server is unavailable always at the same time

HI

We have a netgear readyNAS 104 (firmware 6.7.4) and it has been working fine until about a week ago.

Now everyday between 13:00 and 17:00 its not available or its available for a few seconds but then the connection is lost.

At first i though it might be doing the backup but that is schedule between 21:05 and 23:05 and both the backup and the backup server(the main server is connected to a second backupserver) are using the same timezone.

any ideas what might be the problem?

thanks in advance.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Server is unavailable always at the same time

Perhaps there is another device on the network that is using a static IP addrress that's set for the same IP as the NAS and it comes on at that time and tramples all over the NAS traffic?  Or the NAS is set for a static IP that has beeen allocated by DHCP to some other device and, somehow, they co-exist until that time due to some specific traffic?

Message 2 of 12
NATfrank
Aspirant

Hi Sandshark

thanks for your reaction.

I am a bit cluesless about where to check how the NAS is setting the IPs (either static or dhcp) and if there are other devices using the same IP. Is there an easy way to check this?

thanks again

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Do you have two ethernet cables connected to the NAS or only one?  If you have two cables, then try disconnecting one of them.

Then log into the web UI, and looking at the network page.

There's a settings wheel next to each of the ethernet NICs

OS-6-NIC settings wheel.png

Click on the settings wheel for the adapter that isn't grayed out and choose settings.  You'll see a pop-up with three tabs.  Select the center one (IPv4)

OS-6 NIC IPv4.png

If it says "using DHCP" like the one above then the NAS is not using a static address, but is getting an IP address from a DHCP server (in a home network, that would normally be the router).

Make a note of this IP address (10.0.0.15 in my screenshot example).  When you lose connectivity, first try running RAIDar and see if it can find the NAS.  RAIDar is here: https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Try disconnecting the ethernet cable on the NAS, and then ping the IP address you wrote down.  If RAIDar gave you a different IP address, then ping that one too..  If you get a response, then there is a a device with a static address on the network.  Then reconnect the NAS ethernet.

Message 4 of 12
NATfrank
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

When I went into that IPV4 I get the following:

Main server

using: dhcp

Adress is 192.168.2.7

router is 192.168.2.254

dns servers 

Backupserver

using: dhcp

Adress is 192.168.2.38

router is 192.168.2.254

dns servers 

I dont really get what are the second and third value on the dns server but they are the same in the main server and the backupserver. Could this be the problem?

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@NATfrank wrote:

I dont really get what are the second and third value on the dns server but they are the same in the main server and the backupserver. Could this be the problem?

No, they aren't the problem.  DNS is the way that names like community.netgear.com get mapped to IP addresses..  Your particular DNS servers are run by KPN, who is likely your ISP.  I'm not sure if they are needed in the NAS configuration, but they shouldn't make the NAS unreachable.  You might check a windows PC to see if it has the same servers - running CMD and then entering ipconfig /all

Note that this might not be an address conflict (though it is worth exploring).  Can you tell us a bit more about your network setup?  Is 192.168.2.x the only subnet?  About how many devices are on it?

Message 6 of 12
NATfrank
Aspirant

yeah i just checked in windows and it has the same server.

as far as I understand the 192.168.2.x is our only subnet.

We are using mac and windows, and some mobile phones are also connected to the wi-fi.

the setup is like this

The main NAS server is connected to the router(ISP).

the router(ISP) is connected with a multiple ethernet ports switch to which all the computers and the backup NAS server are also connected.

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

That's helpful to know.

Also, when you are accessing the NAS are you using ReadyCloud?  Or just accessing it directly with SMB (and perhaps AFP on the macs)?  

You shouldn't be needing ReadyCloud on the local 192.168.2.x net - so I'm not suggesting that you change anything.  I'm just trying to gather a bit more information on what's wrong.

Anyway, you should be just about into the failure window now (assuming I am doing my time zone math correctly).  So when it fails try the ping tests with and without the NAS connected to the switch.  Also, see if the NAS IP address changes when you reconnect it to the switch.  RAIDar should be able to find it.

Message 8 of 12
NATfrank
Aspirant

I havent said anything because since last time the server started working fine again.

After we last spoke i remember that before i started this post i had adjusted the hours in the server to the correct timezone (because i had the backup in the right timezone but the server in another one) but i hadnt restarted it. So i did so and then the server have been working fine until today...

Now is back down again...

I tried ping test after disconnecting the server from the switch but then i got nothing. When i connect it again we have a response in the ping tests.

We are connected through the smb, and not readycloud.

I am really clueless of what is the problem.

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

One option is to use paid support.  There is a per-incident support option available (gets youi one hour).

Do you have apps installed? If so which ones?  What services are running?

Message 10 of 12
NATfrank
Aspirant

well if nothing works we will have to go with paid support.

No apps are installed and the backup is schedule but only at night.

Could it be the anti virus updates? They seem to update every day. I cant find a way to control what time he does that though

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@NATfrank wrote:

Could it be the anti virus updates? They seem to update every day. I cant find a way to control what time he does that though

You could try turning the AV service off for a day or so, and see if anything changes.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements