× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Server won't start... have I lost everything?

carlbowles
Aspirant

Server won't start... have I lost everything?

Hello, Thank you for reading this I'm in huge need of recovering my server as everything for my business is stored on it, and it's only now I've realised my backup software hasn't been backing it up.

So I had a readynas nv+ server. This has 4x 'Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003' 1000GB drives in it.

We just used this simply as a file server, and out conifers just mapped network drive so we could access the files on the server.

After a thunderstorm, we noticed this server wouldn't boot up. It's just completely dead.

So we bought a new netgear server - the readynas RN104 model. We put the four drives from the older server into the new one and powered it on. However our raidar software and the lcd screen on the new server is saying 'disk(s) contain data'.

What can I do?? I thought I could simply put the drives into a new server and have it up and running with everything there. I CANNOT format the drives to use with the new server as defiantly loose all our files then.

There was a lot of data stored on the sever.

How can I recover my data? What can I do now? Can I not just simply put the drives into the new server ?

Thank you so much for reading and I really appreciate any help.
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Get a USB disk that can hold all your data that you can connect to the NAS and contact support to enquire about purchasing a data recovery attempt.

Do you recall whether you were using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?

Message 2 of 4
carlbowles
Aspirant

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I ended up having to send the hard drives away to get the data recovered, as I'm not too techie.

All of my data has been recovered, and I'm told the reason why the four drives wouldn't work in the new server is because they weren't formatted as RAIDS - instead they were formatted in a way that one had the OS on, and all our data was spread over the other 3 drives.

Thanks for your help though!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@carlbowles wrote:

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. I ended up having to send the hard drives away to get the data recovered, as I'm not too techie.

All of my data has been recovered, and I'm told the reason why the four drives wouldn't work in the new server is because they weren't formatted as RAIDS - instead they were formatted in a way that one had the OS on, and all our data was spread over the other 3 drives.

Thanks for your help though!

Well, they are correct in saying that the NV+ disk format isn't compatible with the RN104.  Usually you can't move disks from an old NAS to a newer model, though there are some exceptions.

The OS is actually mirrored on all the drives (so the NAS can boot up with any disk removed).  RAID-4 is used on NV+, so your data blocks were spread over three drives, with RAID parity on the fourth (which they might have missed).  I'm thinking that the data recovery service guy doesn't know all that much about ReadyNAS (or perhaps didn't explain very clearly). The important thing is that you have the data back.

Let us know if you have any setup questions with your new NAS. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements