× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up on a new network

yrntugolfn
Aspirant

Setting up on a new network

I moved my Readynas to a new office network and cant locate it. I dont recall the model at the moment but I believe it is a Duo. I believe I need to locate the IP of the nas to log into the system but I dont remember how to locate the address. We have some static IP addresses with our ISP. Any help would be appreciated. 

Also could I use this system as a remote backup for our office? I was hoping to leave the nas at home to have an offsite backup for the office that could batch regularly. If not remotely create a system where I remove the hard drive regularly to keep one offsite. 

Message 1 of 6
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: Setting up on a new network

To locate the NAS on your network you should install and run RAIDar 4.3.8 on your PC or MAC

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@yrntugolfn wrote:

I moved my Readynas to a new office network and cant locate it. I dont recall the model at the moment but I believe it is a Duo. I believe I need to locate the IP of the nas to log into the system but I dont remember how to locate the address.

USe RAIDar.  Both the old (4.3.8) and the new (6.x) versions will work for this.

If the NAS has a static IP address that is incompatible with your new network, please post back.  There are a couple of ways to fix this.

@yrntugolfn wrote:

If not remotely create a system where I remove the hard drive regularly to keep one offsite. 

Don't do that.  Back up the system to a USB drive instead.  Rotating internal drives risks damage to the SATA connector (either in the NAS or the hard drive), and requires a resync every time a new disk is inserted.

Moving the NAS to a remote location is possible, but the details depend on the backup protocols you use.  The most secure method is to connect the NAS to your office network using a VPN.  There are always risks when you open ports in your firewall, and the duo has been end-of-life for some years - so Netgear has stopped providing security updates.  It'd be better to use a current NAS for this (and newer NAS would give you some other options).  Two NAS (one at home and one in the office) would be the best way.

One alternative is to back up the NAS to the a local PC, and then do a full back up of that PC using a Cloud backup service.  That gives you a convenient local copy as well as disaster recovery.  A variation is to mount the NAS data volume as a PC drive letter - though you need to be careful to stay within the terms of the Cloud service, and some cloud backup software won't back up network drives.

Message 3 of 6
yrntugolfn
Aspirant

My current version is 4.3.0. Ill download the newer version.

Message 4 of 6
yrntugolfn
Aspirant

I downloaded Raidar 6.4 and it's not locating the device. Any ideas? 

I believe the model is a Deadynas Duo 2000. I know its older but it was working fine on the old network. 

I should be able to plug it into any port in our network right? I originally had it plugged into a small newtork switch that was coming from the wall which is connected to our main network switch. I tried relocating it and plugging it in directly to the main switch and its still not showing up.

Isnt there a way to log in to the device directly? 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Is the ethernet LED lit (on the NAS ethernet port)?

Also, were the PCs migrated to Windows 10 as part of the move?

RAIDar discovers the NAS using broadcast packets - if you are running the windows firewall (or other security software) on the PC you might want to disable that.

@yrntugolfn wrote:

I should be able to plug it into any port in our network right?

Yes. Though if you assigned a static IP address on the NAS, then the IP address might not be compatible with your new network.

@yrntugolfn wrote:

Isnt there a way to log in to the device directly? 

You can only log in over a network connection.  However, you can connect an ethernet cable directly between the NAS and the PC, and bypass the switches.  If the NAS is set up to use DHCP, then it will fail over to IP address 192.168.168.168.  You'd need to set up a temporary compatible static address on the PC, and browse to https://192.168.168.168/admin or put \\192.168.168.168\sharename in windows file explorer.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements