× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I worry about "bit rot" with no visable drive errors?

hikaricore
Aspirant

Should I worry about "bit rot" with no visable drive errors?

Running my monthly scrub 25% of the way through I've seen 4 reports of bitrot from files I confirmed viable before transfering to my NAS over ethernet.  There are literally 0 disk errors or warnings and the filesystem passed a scan on Sunday.  I have the files backed up so removing and replacing them is a non-issue.  Should there be any concern with this sort of thing unless I see a continuing trend?  Or could it be as I assume a failed copy over ethernet as they were transfered around the same period of time IE within a couple weeks.  Thanks for any info.

Wed Sep 2 2015 15:29:01
Volume: Bit rot protection has detected an error within /var/ftp/*****/*****/*****/*****/*****.mkv and cannot correct the error.
Wed Sep 2 2015 15:15:20
Volume: Bit rot protection has detected an error within /var/ftp/*****/*****/*****/*****/*****.mp4 and cannot correct the error.
Wed Sep 2 2015 9:54:25
Volume: Bit rot protection has detected an error within /var/ftp/*****/*****/*****/*****/*****.mkv and cannot correct the error.
Wed Sep 2 2015 5:42:53

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Should I worry about "bit rot" with no visable drive errors?

I'd do a binary compare of your backup files and the ones on the NAS, and see if they are actually different.  Please post back either way.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I'd do a binary compare of your backup files and the ones on the NAS, and see if they are actually different.  Please post back either way.

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Also, which firmware are you running?

Do you recall which firmware you were running when you added these files?

Message 3 of 7
hikaricore
Aspirant

I did a CRC check from the NAS files to my backup and they're totally off.

Attempts to copy from the NAS filesystem (on these 4 files only) gives an Input/output error via CLI on my desktop Linux system.

Any other files that I've randomly tested pass CRC and playback tests just fine.  So that's fantastic.  🙂

Firmware version is 6.2.4 currently and at the time of transfer.

My scrub still has a day or so left so I'll note any further failures that I come across.

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, definitely bit-rot has occurred.

Message 5 of 7
hikaricore
Aspirant

Found one more bit rot file from the same time period.

Removed all 5 files total and after a disk scan I'll be copying them back from my archives after a disk scan and updating with any additional problems that surface if any.

Message 6 of 7
hikaricore
Aspirant

After replacing the damaged files I have scanned the disks twice, balanced, and done another scrub for good measure.  So far so good.  Looks like it was simply a few bad transfers that never got noticed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements