× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Showing ReadyNAS 104 as network drive in Windows Explorer

cdsatpb
Aspirant

Showing ReadyNAS 104 as network drive in Windows Explorer

I would like my NAS to show as a network drive in Windows Explorer so that I can read/write to it as I would a USB attached external drive.  In Windows explorer, I can select "Network" and then type in the address bar at the top \\myNASname  (where myNASname is the name I have assigned to the ReadyNAS) and the ReadyNAS then appears under "Network" like any other device.  However, it doesn't show automatically when I first open Windows Explorer.  Is there any way to make it show automatically?  I am currently using Windows 7.

(There seem to have been some similar discussions on the forum, but none I can find which addresses - or answers - this specific issue.)

Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Showing ReadyNAS 104 as network drive in Windows Explorer

@cdsatpb wrote:

I would like my NAS to show as a network drive in Windows Explorer so that I can read/write to it as I would a USB attached external drive.  In Windows explorer, I can select "Network" and then type in the address bar at the top \\myNASname  (where myNASname is the name I have assigned to the ReadyNAS) and the ReadyNAS then appears under "Network" like any other device.  However, it doesn't show automatically when I first open Windows Explorer.  Is there any way to make it show automatically?  I am currently using Windows 7.

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet to make the NAS show up all the time as a computer or storage device in the Windows Explorer navigation pane.

However, there are three things you can do which accomplish a similar result.

(a) you can create one or more desktop shortcuts, which will open the NAS shares when you click on them.

(b) you can map one or more NAS shares (including the RN104 data volume) to PC drive letters.

(c) You can add one or more NAS shares (including the RN104 data volume) to the main pane of "computer" (right click, then "add a network location").

@cdsatpb wrote:

Incidentally, the ReadyNAS does show up automatically on another computer on the network running Windows Vista.

In my experience it is hit-or-miss.  Sometimes it shows up on a PC, sometimes it doesn't.  FWIW, all my NAS are showing up on my windows 10 desktop.

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
cdsatpb
Aspirant

Incidentally, the ReadyNAS does show up automatically on another computer on the network running Windows Vista.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@cdsatpb wrote:

Unfortunately there is no silver bullet to make the NAS show up all the time as a computer or storage device in the Windows Explorer navigation pane.

However, there are three things you can do which accomplish a similar result.

(a) you can create one or more desktop shortcuts, which will open the NAS shares when you click on them.

(b) you can map one or more NAS shares (including the RN104 data volume) to PC drive letters.

(c) You can add one or more NAS shares (including the RN104 data volume) to the main pane of "computer" (right click, then "add a network location").

@cdsatpb wrote:

In my experience it is hit-or-miss.  Sometimes it shows up on a PC, sometimes it doesn't.  FWIW, all my NAS are showing up on my windows 10 desktop.

What firmware are you running on the NAS?

Message 3 of 6
cdsatpb
Aspirant

I have just upgraded firmware to 6.2.5.

I can map individual shares (or create shortcuts to individual shares) on the ReadyNAS, but not to the device at top level.  I would therefore need to create multiple links to all the shares (folders) I have created on the NAS, which is a bit untidy.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I can map individual shares (or create shortcuts to individual shares) on the ReadyNAS, but not to the device at top level.  I would therefore need to create multiple links to all the shares (folders) I have created on the NAS, which is a bit untidy.

You can access \\nasname\data if you use NAS admin credentials on the PC.  You can enter them in the Windows credentials manager (deleting whatever credentials are stored for the NAS now).

Alternatively, you could reorganize your data into a single share (each current share being one subfolder).  A lot of work to get there though.

Message 5 of 6
cdsatpb
Aspirant

Your comment about it being "hit or miss" whether the NAS shows up as a network drive seems to sum up the situation.  I will accept this, recognising that I can access the NAS when I need to.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements