× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sigh! SMB shares can't enable on my RN314

ddrowe
Aspirant

Sigh! SMB shares can't enable on my RN314

My ReadyNAS 314 has just started to be inaccessible via SMB.  AFP works fine from my Mac, but my Windows Media Centre cannot connect to the SMB shares any more.  Not sure how long this has been going on for, could be as long as a couple of weeks.

I try to enable SMB from the Services section in Settings and it just won't work.  I have bounced the ReadyNAS a couple of times to no avail.

I'm running the latest firmware 6.9.3.  No other changes have taken place, it has just stopped serving up SMB. 

It's a real gutsache ... anyone know how to help me without taking the "Factory Reset" hammer to it?  

-Dan

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ddrowe
Aspirant

Re: Sigh! SMB shares can't enable on my RN314

OK, so I managed to restore my SMB service.  I downgraded my firmware to 6.9.2 to see if that would do anything.  Nope (just a few crypitic errors in the console).  So I upgraded back to 6.9.3 and viola. 

I can turn on SSH now too.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Doing a community search for "SMB disabled" is bringing up lots of threads dealing with the same problem and there is no panacea for the reported trouble. Except factory reset of course 🙂

The following link to me looks the most promising trying not to use the big hammer. Good luck.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-104-6-6-0-Windows-workstations-can-no-long...

Message 2 of 6
ddrowe
Aspirant

That link seems to refer to a full root disk.  Mine has 2.5G free.  😞

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

A filling OS partition can cause this  (and was the cause in the thread @Retired_Member links to) - but with newer OS-6 releases you should see some alerts telling you that the OS partition is getting full.  So perhaps look for those.

If the OS partition is filling, then it is possible to clean it yourself if you are comfortable using linux shell commands.

It you aren't experienced with linux shell, then the best way to avoid the "hammer" is to use netgear support (my.netgear.com).  They can resolve this for you (including rebuilding your SMB configuration).  They won't support used NAS though.

If you purchased the NAS between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 then you have lifetime chat support via my.netgear.com.  Otherwise, you would need to pay.  Ask for per-incident support, it should be sufficient for this.

Message 4 of 6
ddrowe
Aspirant

OK, so I managed to restore my SMB service.  I downgraded my firmware to 6.9.2 to see if that would do anything.  Nope (just a few crypitic errors in the console).  So I upgraded back to 6.9.3 and viola. 

I can turn on SSH now too.  

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nice and interesting solution.

I would wonder whether anybody could comment on why downgrading and upgrading again was fixing this and what might have go wrong during the first upgrade, though.

With a good explanation at hand it might be worthwile to improve the upgrade process hence avoiding the "smb disabled"-issue moving forward to future firmware releases.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements