× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Standard settings shares does not give full access

Polaris1980
Aspirant

Standard settings shares does not give full access

Hi

I have a Readynas Ultra 6 with RAIDiator 4.2.22.

Recently I had to do a factory reset. Now I am reconfiguring the NAS. I got stuck creating the shares. I read several topics on the matter; but this was not helping.

My goal: I just want to add a share with unlimited acces, so no restrictions for all (it is just me anyways).

The problem:

I add a share by filling in the name and description. I keep the "public access" checked.

As I interpreted the guidance from the internet; this should just be enough to optain goal.

But; when SABNZB downloads something; it does not give me access to the sub folder (I can enter the share, see the downloaded folder, but cannot access it).

Sab NZB does have full access (download; unpak in different share)

My question is; what setting do I use when I want my laptop and my media player to have full access?

Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

On the CIFS configuration page:

Default Access: Read/Write

Allow Guest Access: checked

Advanced CIFS Permission

Automatically set permissions on new files and folders. checked

When new files are created over CIFS...

Group rights:  read/write

Everyone rights: read/write

When new folders are created over CIFS...

Group rights:  read/write

Everyone rights: read/write

On Advanced Options:

Share folder owner:  nobody

Share folder group: nogroup

Share folder group rights: read/write

Share folder everyone rights:  read/write

Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files: checked

Message 2 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunatly that did not do the trick.

I see the share in windows, I can open it; but the folder it should download is not accessable.

The funny thing is; after that did not work; I also checked" Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders to the above settings. This option is ueful in cases where you are changing security level and you need to workaround files access problems".

This then works for all excisting folders. But after I make new ones; I need to do that again.That is not a desired option.

Did you ever came across this issue? Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Message 3 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Or is my NAS software broken.Smiley Frustrated 

Message 4 of 18
StephenB
Guru

If resetting the ownership worked, then that means then the issue is definitely linked to ownership.

Did you try setting "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this." on the advanced permissions page?

Also, is this happening with one of the NAS default shares, or is this a share you created?

There is a simple work-around - that is to create a credential for the NAS in the windows credential manager.  For instance, use admin for the log-on (and the NAS admin password for the password).

Message 5 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi 

Due to busy times on work I did not have a chance to try the solutions posted. My apologies

The issue is for both the pre instaleld shares as the newly created. As said I can enter the share but the folders created within the shares are not accessable. 

The "Do not allow ACL changes to be more restrictive than this" did not fixed the issue

Strangely enough; the credential manager does not solve it. Probably because the share is (ans was) accessable; but not the creates sub folder.

The folders are created by SABNZBD. Could that have something to do with it?

Message 6 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Did you try resetting the owner/group and permissions using the advanced options tab for the share?

Select the checkbox, and appl (bottom right).  The checkbox will clear immediately, and after a while there will be a popup telling you that the resetting is complete.

Message 7 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi

Again, thank you for helping me. Much Appreciated.

I already did that step. if you meant: Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders to the above settings" in the advanced setting.

I did it again to be sure, and the sysyem gave me a notification that reetting is complete.

As said this did help for the excisting folders in that share. However, when SABNZBD creates new folders in that share they are blocked again.

I also can create folders from windows in that share. Could it be SABNZB related? 

Kind regards

Message 8 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Polaris1980 wrote:

However, when SABNZBD creates new folders in that share they are blocked again.

I also can create folders from windows in that share. Could it be SABNZB related? 

Yes it could be.  Did you try accessing the share using the NAS admin credentials?

Message 9 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Yes I tried. No effect at all.

Share itself was already accessable but not the subfolders

So accessable is:  \\NAS\Download  

But not for example:  \\NAS\Download\Homemovie

When SABNZB creates a new folder, that particular folder is locked.

Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

do you have ssh enabled?

Message 11 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi

Yes I did install it. I used PuTTy to make a connection to my NAS IP. 

With login name and password same as READYNAS. Port 22

but....as soon as I enter my password and press enter, it the closes on its own.. I can disable "exit on clean exit" So I can check If I get a system message.

The message says "connection closed by remote host.

Did I do it wrong?

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

username is "root", password is the admin password of the NAS.

Message 13 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

My bad.

You are right.

Got SSH and logged in. 

Do you have a solution in mind using SSH?

Message 14 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Start by looking at the owner/group and permissions of the subfolder with ls -al

You could try something like this on the download share folder: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/CIFS-permissions-for-the-quot-root-quot-c-share...

Message 15 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi

I did ls -al

All accessable maps are "nogroup" and "nobody".

But newly created maps are "admin" and "admin". which are not accessable to windows or XBMC

Why does it do that by itself?

Strange..

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

The link I posted earlier should solve it.

A simpler work-around is to use the NAS admin credentials on the PC and the XBMC.

Message 17 of 18
Polaris1980
Aspirant

Hi Txs.

I also learned that it was SabNZB that probably causes the access problem. (after the ls -al) For now this seems to fix it.

In Config->Folders you can specify which access rights SABnzbd should give the end result.
This parameter is passed to the CHMOD command. It uses the octal notation supported by CHMOD.
You need to specify the settings for folders, so with the X bits set, SABnzbd will automatically remove any X bits for the files.
Also note that folders and files will always have private access (SABnzbd does not allow blocking of private access).

Typical values:

0777 - full access for everyone

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements