× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Still having issues after firmware upgrade

RichStevenson
Aspirant

Still having issues after firmware upgrade #27210968

I replied in my orignal post, but there's been no response.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/no-IP-address-after-FW-upgrade/td-p/1086906

Things still aren't right with the NAS. Just about every time I reboot it I receive one of the follwoing errors on the display:

(null)+0
or
phy_ethtool_set_wol+4

The only thing that gets it back up is to reboot it multiple times. Sometimes just one reboot, sometimes more. Just now I had to reboot 5 times and it finally came back up. I've tried reinstalling the OS again as I have done previously, but the issue still exist

This thing was rock solid prior to the 6.5 upgrade. What else can I do?

Thanks,
Rich

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 28
StephenB
Guru

I'd try removing the current disks (labeling by slot) and installing a scratch disk.  If that setup has the same problem, then you have a good case that your problem is hardware - and get a replacement chassis under warranty.

Message 2 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Where do I go to talk to someone about getting it replaced? I'm over 90 days, and the site says they'll charge for the call.

Message 3 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Support shouldn't charge for an RMA.

Message 4 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Just got off the phone with them. They won't help unless I pay for a support subscritption. He told me to use the Live Chat if I didn't want to subscribe. I don't see a Live Chat option at my.netgear.com. Maybe I'm missing it because I'm a liitle upset that I have to pay to get help with something that is under warranty. Any way, can you point me in the right direction for Live Chat?

Message 5 of 28
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RichStevenson,

Do you full backup of the data stored to the NAS volume?

Regards,

Message 6 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

I do, but it's backed up to the cloud, so it would take a few days to restore. Trying to avoid that, and only reset as a last resort.

Message 7 of 28
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RichStevenson,

I may need to check this with others who can probably assist you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,

Message 8 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Thank you. Case #27099020 if you need it

Message 9 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Any updates on this?

Message 10 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 11 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Just sent them. Thanks

Message 12 of 28
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Your logs show you are still running 6.5.0.  The RN214 shutdown issue was fixed in 6.5.1, as noted in the 6.5.1 release notes.

Message 13 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

That update came out after I started this thread. I was waiting to hear back before I added more into the mix.

I've just apllied 6.5.1, and things are worse now. After the update and reboot, the display showed

al_eth_set_wol+54. I rebooted and received the same error again. Reboot a 3rd time and the display showed (null)+0.

Two more reboots and I get the al_eth_set_wol+54 message again.

I then unplugged the ethernet, and rebooted and it came back up. I plugged the cable back in and tried to grab the logs. I logged into the web portal and when trying to download the logs it stopped responding. The display shows (null)+0

So as of right now I cannot get this thing to stay up.

Message 14 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Update:

I have the NAS up now. It seems each time I click download logs it crashes with one of the two errors I mentioned previously.

However, on my last reboot the admin page says The Ready NAS is currently syncing. The display confirms that as well. What's syncing? 

Message 15 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After an unsafe shutdown there may be a resync to ensure the disks are synced properly.

Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

After an unsafe shutdown there may be a resync to ensure the disks are synced properly.

Which means that all the RAID parity blocks are being rebuilt.  This needs to be completed before you have protection from a failed disk.

Message 17 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Ok, but what about the reboot issue? It's still happening. I just clicked the Power page and just like when I clicked the Download logs button, the unit rebooted and didn't come back up again unitl I unplugged the ether cable and reboot.

Message 18 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

@mdgm-ntgr I was finally able to grab the logs after upgrading to 6.5.1. I've sent them your way.

Message 19 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Skywalker reviewed the fresh set of logs. There are hardware issues. An RMA is needed. I have opened case #27210968 and asked support to contact you to arrange this.

Message 20 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

Awesome! Thanks for all of your help.

Message 21 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

I've submitted the RMA. Thanks again. I'm guessing they're just sending a chassis w/o drives right? Will I be able to just move the drives to the new unit, keeping them in order w/o losing my data?

Message 22 of 28
StephenB
Guru

@RichStevenson wrote:

I've submitted the RMA. Thanks again. I'm guessing they're just sending a chassis w/o drives right? Will I be able to just move the drives to the new unit, keeping them in order w/o losing my data?

RMAs are diskless.  I'd double-check the firmware version before migrating the disks - hopefully you have a scratch disk you can use to do that.

Message 23 of 28
RichStevenson
Aspirant

No scratch disk to use. I'm on 6.5.1. What happens if the chassis doesn't match? 

Message 24 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It should hopefully  update the firmware on the flash to match what is on the disks.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements