× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming timeout on 104?

hajo_s
Aspirant

Streaming timeout on 104?

Hello community,

Since recently - I suspect since firmware update 6.2.5 - my 104 disconnects streaming sessions after 30 minutes. I have turned off harddisk spin down to test but it still disconnects (I can't see spin down events in the log). My media player then says that the previous ReadyDLNA server is no longer available and whether I want to connect to a new one.

Anyone else observing this behavior? I hope I can avoid reinstalling the NAS from scratch...

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
hajo_s
Aspirant

Re: Streaming timeout on 104?

After further investigation I'm pretty sure now that those periodic cleanup scripts kill the streaming. I'm not exactly sure where php5 comes from -- is this a package originally bundled by Netgear or did I do something silly and installed it? I personally don't need it; unless another app I installed requires it. But since my apps are gone, I could remove php as well.

I have meanwhile changed the cron tab entry to run once a day when I sleep. 

So thx once again Jenn, your guess about load was correct at the end 🙂 Well, I learned my lesson. A Netgear 104 NAS is a NAS, not a full-blown Linux box. Can live with that...

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hajo_s,

Welcome to the community!

Do you have app running on the NAS such as AntiVirus plus, Sickbeard, etc.? Try turning them off and see if that helps.

Please also check if the ReadyNAS still uses the same IP address that was remembered by the media player.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
hajo_s
Aspirant

Thx Jenn,

I'll check in the next days. Will turn off apps although I'm not sure that helps -- the disconnect happens after exactly 30 minutes every time, reproducible. Also, I don't have any heavy load apps (e.g. virus scan) scheduled for the time I stream. Tests will show 🙂

The box has the same IP assigned by the router all the time, it can't change. And I did reset the media player after timeout, the problem repeated 30mins later.

Anyway, thx again. Will test and report back...

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hajo_s,

You may also try updating to the latest firmware version.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29938

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
hajo_s
Aspirant

Thx Jenn. Just did upgrade the FW, removed apps and tested. Problem persists. Then I remembered there's a way to download all the log files, so I went through them and tried to match time stamps to disconnects. I figure the media player buffers for a bit - then I found events happening every time some 2 minutes before a disconnect:

cron.log:

Oct 07 21:39:01 Saturn CRON[6677]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))

(repeated every 30mins)

and with this onviously every 30mins in system.log:

Oct 07 21:39:01 Saturn CRON[6676]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Oct 07 21:39:01 Saturn CRON[6677]: (root) CMD ( [ -x /usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime ] && [ -x /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && [ -d /var/lib/php5 ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean /var/lib/php5 $(/usr/lib/php5/maxlifetime))
Oct 07 21:39:03 Saturn CRON[6676]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root

And with it also the respective entry in systemd-journal.log 

moreover, but probably unrelated, after a disconnect I created the log file archive and afterwards see in systemd-journal.log another error:

Oct 07 21:54:34 Saturn readynasd[3531]: head: cannot open `/sys/kernel/config/target/iscsi/*/tpgt*/lun/lun*/lun*/info' for reading: No such file or directory
Oct 07 21:54:35 Saturn readynasd[3531]: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Oct 07 21:54:35 Saturn readynasd[3531]: Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Oct 07 21:54:35 Saturn readynasd[3531]: Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

Thats all all the suspicious activity I find in the logs. Any clue? Thx again 🙂

Message 5 of 8
hajo_s
Aspirant

After further investigation I'm pretty sure now that those periodic cleanup scripts kill the streaming. I'm not exactly sure where php5 comes from -- is this a package originally bundled by Netgear or did I do something silly and installed it? I personally don't need it; unless another app I installed requires it. But since my apps are gone, I could remove php as well.

I have meanwhile changed the cron tab entry to run once a day when I sleep. 

So thx once again Jenn, your guess about load was correct at the end 🙂 Well, I learned my lesson. A Netgear 104 NAS is a NAS, not a full-blown Linux box. Can live with that...

Message 6 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello hajo_s,

PHP is needed if there is an app that requires it.

Please feel free to continue posting in case it occurs again.

Thank you for your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
hajo_s
Aspirant

Thx Jenn,

It appears it was pulled in by an app I played around with then. I experimented with Wordpress at one point which is listed as a dependency. I removed Wordpress (with all other apps) so it seems it remained as an artifact. I'll probably dump it manually (via apt) then since I read you as the Readynas web front end not requiring it.

Thx again for the help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements