× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Streaming to iPad 2

Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Streaming to iPad 2

Hi,

I'm running a ReadyNAS Duo on firmware 4.1.7 (which is the latest version, apparently) and iTunes v 10.3.1.55.

I have the ReadyNAS set up to act as an iTunes Streaming Server, and the scan has found 5000+ files.

Previously, I used to see the ReadyNAS listed as a server in iTunes, but wasn't using it as I had the music files on my laptop hard drive too, the intention being that the ReadyNAS was acting as a backup as well as allowing me to play the music via my TV/Home Theatre system.

Now, I'd like to share the music on the ReadyNAS so it can be accessed from other devices, but cannot see anything listed in iTunes. iTunes "Help" says that I should go to Edit/Preferences and check the box marked "look for shared libraries" but I do not have that checkbox.

Doing a bit of research on the web, I have come across many posts that say that iTunes v10 does not recognise NAS devices for some reason, but that this was subsequently sorted. I haven't seen any posts on here about this, though....

Anybody else aware of any issues, or know what I am doing wrong? I have a home PC and an iPad 2 is coming my way from work in a few weeks too, and would really like to be able to have all music files stored in one location and accessible by everything.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 18
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: No server listed in iTunes

Recent iTunes releases moved the "Shared Libraries" option

Make sure you have "Shared Libraries" checked in Preferences>General (6th option down on the right)

Message 2 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Thanks. I checked that and yes, that box is ticked already, but nothing 😞

It's the same on my PC and my laptop...
Message 3 of 18
sphardy1
Apprentice

Any chance you have a firewall blocking the traffic?
Message 4 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

I use the NAT feature on my Netgear DGN 2000, and the configuration of this hasn't changed.

The firewall rules list the ReadyNAS under "always allowed" inbound services.

Referring to my original post, do I take it that it's nothing to do with version 10 of iTunes?
Message 5 of 18
sphardy1
Apprentice

I was referring to a firewall on your PC or Mac (whichever you use)

The bug in ITunes only affected one early version of iTunes 10 and was fixed fairly quickly - if your iTunes installation is up to date then your problem will not be due to that (10.3 certainly has no issue)
Message 6 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

OK, problem sorted. I simply rebooted the ReadyNAS device a few times and got Firefly to rescan for files, and it now appears as a library. The ReadyNAS was rebooted prior to me posting the question (don't reboots solve 90% of IT issues? :wink: ) but I thought I'd do it again and it seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Message 7 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Streaming to iPad 2

Apologies in advance if I should have started a new thread, but this does refer to my original post on this thread...

My iPad has now arrived... 😄

I don't use Apple Macs and have even returned an iPhone I had, so I'm not familiar with Apple products at all, but I do use iTunes on my Windows PC and laptops to organise and listen to my music.

My main laptop has my library stored locally, but I also have a copy on the ReadyNAS Duo in the Media share folder. The sharing works fine with laptops/PC, and the ReadyNAS 'library' appears under "Shared" in the folder tree on all laptops and the PC.

When I access the iPod app on my iPad, I can see the library stored on my laptop (if the laptop is on) but can't see the ReadyNAS, meaning my laptop must be on if I want to listen to my music without storing it all on the iPad. Having dug around some forums, most solutions involve Apple productes like AirPlay etc. but as I said, I am not an Apple user and only have the iPad because it was a freebie.

Is there any way of streaming directly from the ReadyNAS Duo to the iPad without other hardware?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question...
Message 8 of 18
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Streaming to iPad 2

Not a dumb question at all

The simple fact is that Apple has only very recently enabled iPads to be able to stream music from a server - that all falls under "AirPlay" which unfortunately is a different, though similar, technology to the sharing method used to make your NAS appear in iTunes under "Shared" on your computers. It's unfortunate because the iTunes Server included on all ReadyNAS devices is not AirPlay compliant, and iPads can only stream from an AirPlay server.

There is development in the open source community of a replacement application for the iTunes Server that Netgear use that is AirPlay compliant, but:

1. It'll never be ported to your Duo (too many unsatisfied dependencies)
2. Even porting it to x86 based ReadyNAS is a major task - again due to dependencies

Bottom line - Netgear is severely behind its competition in this area and because they never communicate their plans we have no idea if they are even working on some solution to this.

Your only alternative is to consider installing an app on the iPad that can stream from one of the other ReadyNAS services. For example, I have a couple of Logitech Squeezeboxes which I can control from my iPad via the SqueezePad or iPeng apps, both of which will play the media on the iPad too. I have seen references from others using DLNA client apps so that they can stream from ReadyDLNA which appears to work well - search the forum for more info.
Message 9 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification. I must admit, it is disappointing that Netgear are not keeping up with developments.

Taking your suggestion on board, I tried an app called 8player which seems to do the trick.

The problem I have with DLNA streaming (this affects streaming not just to the iPad but also to my Sony Bravia TV and Blu-Ray home theatre system) is that I end up with lots of folders named "null" all over the place...any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks again.
Message 10 of 18
sphardy1
Apprentice

Sorry - no. I don't use DLNA - too many issues with it.
Message 11 of 18
Luckyashman
Aspirant

I use goodplayer to stream DIRECTLY from readynas to iPad2 via dlna or samba. You just have to enable dlna on nas and share specific folders. If you connect using samba client you need to enter ip of nas, username, and password. I have used air video but you have to go through a pc or Mac. I tried media player lite based on recommendation from another post and it didn't work for me. Of note, goodplayer did not always display the dlna nas right away but I think it is a nas issue since my ps3 does not always see the nas right away either. Hope this helps those of you who are trying to stream directly from readynas. For awhile I started to think it was not possible. Only drawback is you have to pay for goodplayer. Having purchased cinexplayer and other video players trying to get direct streaming to work I think goodplayer is the best and worth every penny. Plays practically everything. If anyone knows of any free alternatives please post.
Message 12 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

I ended up using an app called 8player. The free "lite" version gave me all the nulls, but since installing the full paid version and recanning on the readyNAS, that issue seems to have disappeared, so all in all, quite happy with it, but thanks for the recommendation 😄
Message 13 of 18
Cees1
Aspirant

Suppose I would indeed use one of the other streaming services like SqueezeCenter or ReadyDLNA to stream to the iPad (assuming there is an app for that), how do I create (smart) playlists with those? At least Firefly let's you create playlists like iTunes on the PC/Mac. For me this is crucial as Classical, Children's and Pop music all sit in the same folder.
Cees.
Message 14 of 18
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

I don't really use playlists much, but using 8Player gives me the ability to select by Album, Artist, Genre etc. so if you use Genre, that should hopefully solve your issue. There are probably loads of other apps which do allow you to have smart playlists, and maybe 8Player does too, but as I don't use playlists at all, I can't help more - sorry!
Message 15 of 18
Nepenthes
Aspirant

I have an iPad and i would also like to store my files in one place but i don't know yet how to do it. I was searching on the web and i saw this post, that is to say that i've learned many things by reading it. It is very informative. :wink:
Message 16 of 18
devilsrear
Aspirant

8player doesn't handle mkv's (although it says it does!)

Best player by far - that handles everything with NO TRANSCODING is ArkMC DLNA UPnP media streaming centre and video player.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/arkmc-dlna-upnp-media-streaming/id405487397?mt=8

There is also a FREE lite version to test (lets you play the 1st few files in each folder) - ArkMC Lite DLNA UPnP media streaming centre and video player

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arkmc-lite-dlna-upnp-media/id640095560?mt=8
Message 17 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Avplayerhd also works well. It accesses the videos with FTP. Though the most recent version removed DTS.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements