× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stuck in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" after upgrade to 6.9.3

orb
Tutor
Tutor

I've had the same issue since installing 6.9.3. My RN10400 has never been connected to the net. It's just used as a standalone backup containing two HDD's.

I have tried 3 different browsers (cleared caches) but the same window showing 'connecting to readynas admin page' is repetitive.

I do see the Admin page for approximately 2 seconds, but then whichever browser I'm using (Firefox/IE/Chrome) will just revert back to the 'connecting to readynas admin page' again. The scrolling blue bar will travel about a third of the way accross it's rectangular box, then quickly shoot to the end of it as if it's completed something, at this point the front display on the NAS shows it's booting info, then goes off. And the sequence starts again.

Also RAIDar windows eventually shows..  'Status: Management Service Is Offline'

I'm guessing this is some sort of firmware boot loop bug as previous FW's have been fine?

Any advice please? I do hope it will be fixed soon as it's annoying.

Thanks guys

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 26 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

My RN10400 has never been connected to the net.

One disadvantage of not allowing it to connect to the internet is that you won't receive the hotfixes that Netgear pushes out.

How are you blocking the NAS connection to the internet?

Are you able to access the files?

Message 27 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi..

I've just never set it up to connect to my wireless network via the computer..

I am able to access all the files and transfer data etc via RAIDars Browse button, but obviously I can't setup folders or check/change configs etc on the NAS.

Message 28 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

I've just never set it up to connect to my wireless network via the computer..

Meaning it is connected directly to the computer, and not to the router??? (with no connection sharing in place on the computer)?

That will block internet access, so hot-fixes and antivirus updates wouldn't be delivered, and the NTP time sync won't work.  Netgear won't be able to provide remote support either. 

Generally you are better off connecting the NAS to your LAN, and not doing a direct connect to the PC.  Though if your PC has to be connected to the internet over WiFi, the direct connection to the NAS will give better performance from the PC.  If that's your situation, you should look into installng connection sharing on the computer.  If you are using Windows 10, there is some info here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/internet-connection-sh...

I'm guessing you've also assigned the NAS a static IP address - is that correct?

@orb wrote:

I am able to access all the files and transfer data etc via RAIDars Browse button, 

Your data is at risk, so if you are using the NAS for primary storage you probably should back up what you can.

Also, try downloading the log zip file from RAIDar, and perhaps PM @mdgm-ntgr, and ask him to take a look at it.

Message 29 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB

The problem I have is that my computer and my NAS are upstairs in a room that is very difficult to route cables to. So basically my computer is connected wirelessly to router downstairs and my NAS is connected directly to the computer.

I don't remember assigning any IP address.. I just made my computer see the NAS via the number in the back of it & it work from then on, and it's been fine for about 2 years now. Untill the latest firmware was installed.

Regarding security.. I don't have the NAS on most of the time.. Only for a few minutes each week whilst I'm backing drive images up.

I can't change anything around now though as I can't even access the NAS if I wanted to try.

Message 30 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

I can't change anything around now though as I can't even access the NAS if I wanted to try.

One option is to do a factory reset from the boot menu - which will destroy your data.

You could also try moving it temporarily and connecting it to your router with ethernet.  Then see if it boots up in tech support mode.  If it does, you can then use paid netgear support (my.netgear.com).  That gives you some chance of preserving your data.

What IP address does RAIDar show for your NAS?  (It is safe to post it).

Message 31 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I'd considered factory resetting the NAS but was trying to avoid that.. I was thinking of pulling all my files off there beforehand, resetting the NAS, and then putting everything back onto it.

I wont post it's IP address just in case it's not safe to 🙂

Message 32 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

I wont post it's IP address just in case it's not safe to 🙂

It is completely safe

(a) your NAS is connected via direct connect, so it can't be reached over the internet no matter what.

(b) home networks use private addresses that aren't routable over the internet.  

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/address_filters.html wrote:

the following IPv4 address ranges have been reserved by the IANA for private internets, and are not publicly routable on the global internet:

• 10.0.0.0/8 IP addresses: 10.0.0.0 -- 10.255.255.255
  • 172.16.0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16.0.0 -- 172.31.255.255
  • 192.168.0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

My main NAS has IP address 10.0.0.15 - try reaching it over the internet, and see what happens...

@orb wrote:

Yes I'd considered factory resetting the NAS but was trying to avoid that.. I was thinking of pulling all my files off there beforehand, resetting the NAS, and then putting everything back onto it.

If you can access the data, that is the most direct approach. Once you have the data off, you can try an OS reinstall from the boot menu - which might help.  But get the data off first.

Message 33 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB

Please could you confirm.. In your previous post you said that.. 'Your data is at risk, so if you are using the NAS for primary storage you probably should back up what you can'.  I assume you meant that this is only IF the NAS has net access via the computer, which mine doesn't?

Also, I appologise as misread your post.. I thought it said .. 'IS' it safe to post.

Anyway my NAS IP is 169. 254.11.83

I'm transferring all the data off the NAS now. However I'm a little concerned.. Assuming that the firmware is still 6.9.3 after the NAS is fully reset, and the login problem I'm having now is due to 9.6.3 being corrupt etc. Could I be left with a dead unit that I can't access at all?

Thank you

Message 34 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

Please could you confirm.. In your previous post you said that.. 'Your data is at risk, so if you are using the NAS for primary storage you probably should back up what you can'.  I assume you meant that this is only IF the NAS has net access via the computer, which mine doesn't?

"Primary storage" just means that you aren't exclusively using the NAS as a backup device - that is, that there are files on the NAS that aren't anywhere else.  The risk isn't related to internet access - you have a device that likely has some corruption in the OS partition or the data volume.  So getting the irreplacable data off the NAS is the next step.

@orb wrote:

I'm transferring all the data off the NAS now. However I'm a little concerned.. Assuming that the firmware is still 6.9.3 after the NAS is fully reset, and the login problem I'm having now is due to 9.6.3 being corrupt etc. Could I be left with a dead unit that I can't access at all?

My best guess now is that the NAS itself is ok, but somehow the OS partition is damaged.  If that's correct, then Netgear can restore it remotely with no data loss (if it were internet connected).  An OS reinstall from the boot menu might help, but is a long shot.  A factory reset would fix it, since it reformats the drives and reinstalls the OS from the flash.

I don't think that the NAS hardware has failed, since I don't see how a hardware failure would result in your specific symptoms.

@orb wrote:

Anyway my NAS IP is 169.254.11.83

This is also a private address, and is in the "automatic private addressing range".   That's good, because it means that the NAS is configured to use DHCP/automatic addresses.  You could easily shift it to your router, and remote support is still an option if you need it.

Message 35 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi StephenB,

Thank you.. I appreciate the help and explantions. All Important data is off the NAS now and I have 2x copies of all the data on

two separate HDD's, Just  in case 🙂

I'll post back on how It goes.

Message 36 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

One reason why the web admin page may be inaccessible on 6.9.3 can be fixed by a hot-fix or by making a few changes via SSH. If that's what you've run into the drastic step of a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) would resolve it. This particular issue only affected systems last factory reset on very old firmware.

Message 37 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi..  I've not reset the NAS just yet, as getting some of the huge files off it is taking a while. I was going to complete it today.

Perhaps the hotfix you mention will work... Can I download this hotfix please and perhaps install it via USB before I go ahead with the reset?

Message 38 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No, but you could put 6.9.4 Beta on the unit using USB Boot Recovery if you want to.

Message 39 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

I guess I have nothing to loose now so the beta version is something to try.. Woukd you have a link for it please. I can't see it on the downloads page?

Thank you

Message 40 of 54
StephenB
Guru

As I said earlier, the NAS needs to be connected to the internet to get hotfixes.

@orb wrote:

Woukd you have a link for it please. I can't see it on the downloads page?

It's in the forum.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-9-4-T8/m-p/1566157#M10223

The USB recovery is described here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system.  The process is a bit tricky, and for some reason it fails with some USB drives.  Generally speaking, older ones seem to work better for this.

When you get to that point, I suggest trying the OS reinstall procedure first, as that is simpler to do (and you lose nothing by trying it).

Message 41 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Ok so I got all the files off my NAS yesterday and factory reset it. All went ok apart from having to wait all night for Resync.

Anyway.. Booted it up this morning went through quick offline setup and it still doesn't work,. It just cycles as it did beforehand. I did a quick video so that you can see the proceedure. Dunno if it will help though as I feel that this is a corrupted firmware issue now?

I want to try flashing the FW to the beta.. But the drives are trying to resync again which will take all day.. Is there a way around waiting for this please?

I didn't edit the video down so just skip towards the end to see how it justs cycles again.

Message 42 of 54
StephenB
Guru

Can you download the logs with RAIDar?

A couple of things you could try:

• Move the NAS to your router, and connect it there.  Then restart it, and see if having an internet connection helps.
  • Power down the NAS, and remove the disks (labeling by slot).  Then test them in the PC using vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate, Lifeguard for Western Digital).  Look at the SMART info, don't just rely on the pass/fail results of the test.  You'll need to either connect the drives via SATA or use a USB adapter/dock.  Windows won't understand the drive format, but the tools can detect the drives and test them anyway. 
Message 43 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Stephen..

Belive it or not I had both NAS disks in an external enclosue and was formatting them as your notification popped up 🙂  WHY you may ask. Well please read on 🙂

I thought I'd fixed the NAS this morning, but not so.. I took the 2x 3TB drives out of the NAS.. Unplugged it and rebooted via USB

installing 2.9.4-T8 Beta Firmware.

All went ok and after the NAS was rebooted it showed FW 6.9.4-T8 on both the front of the NAS AND on the RIADar screen.

So I shut the NAS down again and refitted my drives. When the NAS rebooted it showed FW 2.9.3 again both on the front of the unit

and in RAIDar Smiley Mad

Message 44 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@orb wrote:

I thought I'd fixed the NAS this morning, but not so.. I took the 2x 3TB drives out of the NAS.. Unplugged it and rebooted via USB

installing 2.9.4-T8 Beta Firmware.

All went ok and after the NAS was rebooted it showed FW 6.9.4-T8 on both the front of the NAS AND on the RAIDar screen.

So I shut the NAS down again and refitted my drives. When the NAS rebooted it showed FW 2.9.3 again both on the front of the unit

and in RAIDar Smiley Mad

It should have updated the system software on the disks to match the beta firmware on the flash.

Can you update the firmware from the web ui?  Or is that still non-responsive?

Message 45 of 54
orb
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

It should have updated the system software on the disks to match the beta firmware on the flash.

Can you update the firmware from the web ui?  Or is that still non-responsive?

It must not have.. So the FW was not working properly it seems or it was corrupted somehow.

Anyway.. It's fixed now... I think 🙂

After formatting both HDD's.. I rebooted the NAS and just tried to re-install FW 6.9.3 again (seens as 6.9.4 had previously failed too)

On reinstalling the HDD's and rebooting the NAS again.. I could then get back into RAIDar again on the PC without RAIDar trying to restart

all the time. So all is well & I'm the process of ReSyncing again. Just need to put all the data back on again after that.

Thanks again for help and suggestions along the way.

Message 46 of 54
vmvoodoo
Aspirant

@CraftWorks wrote:

Never had any issues with this NAS (bought in December, 2013). Today I upgraded from 6.8.1 to 6.9.3 (through 6.9.0). Since that, it keeps looping in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page". I still can access the volumes (and their content) through SMB, RAIDar sees it and it returns its status as "healthy", but I'm pissed off to not be able to get to the Admin page. That prevents me to do any administrative action - including to revert to a previous FW. It seems to be an internal Apache web server (looking into the logs), although I wouldn't swear by that... Any ideas - and especially any solutions? Is there a way to install FW by _not_ using the web interface?

Thanks in advance.

OK... I just upgraded from 6.6.1 to 6.9.3 and having same issue... I also do not have the ability to connect this device to the internet. So how can I fixe it?

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 47 of 54
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@vmvoodoo

readynasd has problem on your NAS, it is a another problem, maybe it is a issue, 

Can RAIDar detect the NAS?

If RAIDar can detect your NAS, could do you please enable remote support? then PM me debug code and let us remote to check the issue.

RAIDar Secure diagnostic
https://kb.netgear.com/27391/ReadyNAS-RAIDar-6-0

readynasd[2609]: *** Error in `/usr/sbin/readynasd': free(): invalid pointer: 0x00f98bc8 ***
May 18 11:28:10 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 systemd[1]: readynasd.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT

it cause readynas always reboot.

May 18 11:19:45 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[2609]: readynasd log started
May 18 11:19:45 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[2609]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
May 18 11:20:09 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[2609]: Using fan mode: cool
May 18 11:20:11 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[2609]: Firmware was upgraded to 6.9.3.
May 18 11:20:11 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[2609]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 18 11:28:10 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: readynasd log started
May 18 11:28:12 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
May 18 11:28:33 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: Last run started at 1526656807 was aborted
May 18 11:28:33 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: Detect abnormal shutdown of readynasd and child. (readynasd)
May 18 11:28:33 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) was restarted.
May 18 11:28:34 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: Using fan mode: cool
May 18 11:28:35 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4333]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 18 11:28:44 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: readynasd log started
May 18 11:28:46 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
May 18 11:29:07 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: Last run started at 1526657313 was aborted
May 18 11:29:07 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: Detect abnormal shutdown of readynasd and child. (readynasd)
May 18 11:29:07 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) was restarted.
May 18 11:29:08 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: Using fan mode: cool
May 18 11:29:09 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[4828]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 18 11:29:16 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: readynasd log started
May 18 11:29:18 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
May 18 11:29:39 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: Last run started at 1526657347 was aborted
May 18 11:29:39 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: Detect abnormal shutdown of readynasd and child. (readynasd)
May 18 11:29:39 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) was restarted.
May 18 11:29:40 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: Using fan mode: cool
May 18 11:29:41 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5268]: ReadyNASOS background service started.
May 18 11:29:50 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5759]: readynasd log started
May 18 11:29:52 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5759]: readynasd started. (restarted=0)
May 18 11:30:13 TRN1-AMS-NAS01 readynasd[5759]: Last run started at 1526657379 was aborted

Message 48 of 54
gnikolaev
Aspirant

Similar issue here. I upgraded to 6.9.3 and to be honest, everything seemed to be working fine. Until I decided to alter some of the Shares' File access. Then I applied the changed and boom - I am stuck at the "Connecting to the Readynas Admin page". 

* it does shows me the web page for a second, then goes back to the connecting message

* I can ssh with root (laptop on the wifi, NAS on a cable to the modem)

* I can access the shares over SMB

* I can't ping the default gateway, which is the internet modem's IP

* I can't ping anything in the outside world

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome, please.

Thank you in advance.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 49 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

gnikolaev you could start by checking the readynasd log entries

# journalctl -an 100 CATEGORY=readynasd.log

You could also check to see if there's a wordpress directory under /apps/.freeapps and if so remove the wordpress directory.

Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements