× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stuck in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" after upgrade to 6.9.3

CraftWorks
Aspirant

Stuck in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" after upgrade to 6.9.3

Never had any issues with this NAS (bought in December, 2013). Today I upgraded from 6.8.1 to 6.9.3 (through 6.9.0). Since that, it keeps looping in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page". I still can access the volumes (and their content) through SMB, RAIDar sees it and it returns its status as "healthy", but I'm pissed off to not be able to get to the Admin page. That prevents me to do any administrative action - including to revert to a previous FW. It seems to be an internal Apache web server (looking into the logs), although I wouldn't swear by that... Any ideas - and especially any solutions? Is there a way to install FW by _not_ using the web interface?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 54

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Stuck in "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" after upgrade to 6.9.3

Well it was the issue that connecting it to the internet and rebooting it and waiting at least 10 minutes would have resolved.

Glad that it's now fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 54

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you try clearing your browser cache?

Message 2 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

First of all, thanks for your fast reply.

Now... _Yes_, I've cleared my browser's cache. I've tried this with Firefox, IE, Chrome... to no avail... I've even tried this from another computer on the same network. I've rebooted my NAS several times... same result. I've rebooted my host computer (just in case) - same result. Please, don't let me be misunderstood: all this "circus" began after upgrading to 6.9.3. _Nothing_ else chaged. My NAS is on my private network segment, therefore it's not accessible from "outside" world - therefore, I can't blame an external agent. I only use it to store my files on a local NAS - nothing else exotic. The upgrade process went smoothly (as it always did), without any "hitch". My _real_ and _true_ problem is that I can't do any "administrative" action anymore, including reverting to a previous version af the FW.

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Message 3 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sounds like you’ve probably run into the same issue as some others. One solution is to connect the NAS to the internet with correct DNS settings, reboot the NAS and wait about 10 minutes or so then try accessing the web admin page again.
Message 4 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Even if I wanted to do so I can't do it because I can't alter NIC configuration (for doing this I shoud have access to the bloody admin page, which I don't...).
In my first post I asked a question, and, with all due respect, I must ask it again: Is there a way to install FW by _not_ using the web interface? Maybe I should add that, unfortunately for me (in these circumstances), I didn't activate the SSH access to my NAS.
On the other hand - I've been taken a closer look to the "Release Notes" for FW v6.9.3. In the section "New Features & Enhancements" the second item is "Add Session Timeout to Admin Page". Hmmm... it smells fishy... Does it ring a bell?
Also, you recommended "to connect the NAS to the internet with correct DNS settings, reboot the NAS and wait about 10 minutes or so then try accessing the web admin page again." Tell me, please (for my own technical knowledge): why might this be a solution?
Best regards,
CraftWorks

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 5 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@CraftWorks wrote:

Even if I wanted to do so I can't do it because I can't alter NIC configuration (for doing this I shoud have access to the bloody admin page, which I don't...). 

An OS reinstall from the boot menu will reset the IP configuration to use DHCP and also reset the admin password to password.

@CraftWorks wrote:

Tell me, please (for my own technical knowledge): why might this be a solution?

There often are hotfixes that are pushed from Netgear (and perhaps also apt-get updates for installed apps).  A working internet configuration is required to get those (and the 10 minute delay gives some time for them to be applied).

@CraftWorks wrote:

In my first post I asked a question, and, with all due respect, I must ask it again: Is there a way to install FW by _not_ using the web interface? Maybe I should add that, unfortunately for me (in these circumstances), I didn't activate the SSH access to my NAS.

Not without linux shell access (ssh).

@CraftWorks wrote:

In the section "New Features & Enhancements" the second item is "Add Session Timeout to Admin Page". 

That just auto-logs out of the web admin ui if there is no activity.

Message 6 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Hello again,
I'm at a critical point. I"ve taken out the four disks of my NAS and I've booted it again; as expected, it booted in "Safe Mode" (it seems that version 6.9.3 _does have_ a good feature after all...). And...surprise: I can load my Admin Page!!! First thing I did was to activate the SSH access (ouch... just in case).
Now... the question of a million bucks: if I revert to an older FW, say 6.9.0 (it seems that the system would let me do that), what will happen when I put my disks back? You might say that I'm over-cautious, but I wouldn't like to screw-up my data (files). Will the system (NAS) recognise them as valid, actual disks or the older FW will screw them? Say what you will, but I don't want to lose my projects at this point...
Again, thanks and best regards.
CraftWorks

Message 7 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

This is a question for all the Netgear gurus out there: how comes that I'm able to get to the bloody "Admin Page" with all the disks out of the system (I mean the NAS has booted in "Safe Mode" with FW v6.9.3), while having them _in_ (running in the NAS, I mean) I'm not able to do it? This baffles me...
Best regards,
CraftWorks

Message 8 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@CraftWorks wrote:

Now... the question of a million bucks: if I revert to an older FW, say 6.9.0 (it seems that the system would let me do that), what will happen when I put my disks back? 

What should happen is that the system will detect that the disks are running newer firmware than what is on the drives, and then it should update the flash from the disks - reinstalling 6.9.3 into the flash memory.

However, safe mode is brand new, and it is possible that Netgear has made some changes to allow it to downgrade.

Safe mode is entered automatically; your situation makes a case that Netgear should add it to the boot menu.

Message 9 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you get my PM? It gave another suggestion to try with the NAS booted normally with the disks installed.

Safe mode is designed for problems where the system won’t boot not for problems simply accessing the web admin page.
Message 10 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

I've just replied to your PM. Check it out, please.

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Message 11 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just replied.

Message 12 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it was the issue that connecting it to the internet and rebooting it and waiting at least 10 minutes would have resolved.

Glad that it's now fixed.

Message 13 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Hello mdgm,

...You know... I'm kind of an old fart... I'd rather do things by myself than let the "Wide Wild World" do them for me... So, I was happy to follow your instructions and get some results by myself...

Unfortunately, there is no place (in the "Wide Wild World"... you see what I mean) where I could leave a zillion "kudos" for you. But you _do_ deserve them, and that's all it is.

Thanks again... and take care!

Best regards,

CraftWorks

Message 14 of 54
buddyrjm
Aspirant

Does not work for me 6.9.3. Was always cycling on the "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page" I could not do anything. I upgraded from 6.9.2 which was working fine. I cleared the cache in the browser. I even remote connected to the NAS and reconfigured it to have access to the internet. Still nothing. I tried 3 different browsers. Still nothing. I had to revert manually back and reflash to 6.9.2 and all is OK now. As far as I am concerned. 6.9.3 is broken. NETGEAR FIX IT. I am technical and was able to revert to an older image but not everyone can. Most people will be stuck in the loop and never be able to access the NAS again. This is a SERIOUS ISSUE NETGEAR. I used the following method to revert back. It works. Just put the image somewhere on your NAS and follow the next steps. after the reboot, it will install back 6.9.2. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!! My unit is a RN104 arm. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT IMAGE FILE FOR YOUR UNIT OR IT WILL BE BRICKED, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!

# put your image file here cd /var/readynasd
# echo /var/readynasd/ReadyNASOS-6.9.2-arm.img > /etc/.flash_update
# rn_shutdown -r

Model: ReadyNAS Photos II|
Message 15 of 54
JL5000
Aspirant

Hello,

I am experiencing the same issue.  Was already on 6.9.3 (working correctly) and uploaded the Egnyte Storage Sync 11.1.4 for NETGEAR ReadyNAS.  The issue started occurring after uploading the app.

Tried multiple browsers and flushing cache.  Tried removing drives and accessing without drives in (able to access that way), but settings do not save.  SSH is not enabled.

This is a ReadyNAS 314

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 16 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well then the problem you're seeing is different to Craftworks.

Trying to upload the wrong firmware image whilst not recommended shouldn't brick the unit.

With the disks installed, boot then unit and then download the logs using RAIDar and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 17 of 54
JL5000
Aspirant

Thank You for taking a look mdgm.  Logs have been sent.

Message 18 of 54
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

JL5000 your data volume looks empty. If you've got no data on the system why not do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything)?

Your system was last factory reset way back on 6.1.4.

Message 19 of 54
JL5000
Aspirant

Hi mgdm,

I didn't want to factory reset and lose all users that have been configured.  I worked with someone and we resolved the issue.  Somehow the /apps/.freeapps was gone.  Had to reinstall freeapp-collection to resolve.

Thank You for your help.

Message 20 of 54
ap01
Aspirant

What were the steps to fix this? I have same problem, upgrade from 6.9.0 to 6.9.3 makes admin page reload continuously.

No SSH enabled.

Cannot connect it to internet.

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 21 of 54
JL5000
Aspirant

You will want to use Raidair to export the logs, then send to the moderators.  Instructions on how to do that are in mdgm's signature or here   One of them should reach out to help.  You will need to enable support mode on the NAS, so that they can connect and can run the necessary commands to resolve the issue for you.  They will walk your though it.

Message 22 of 54
StephenB
Guru

It's best to PM a moderator first, and ask them if they are willing to review your logs.

Message 23 of 54
CraftWorks
Aspirant

Hi,

Although the steps I've taken (kindly taken by the hand by mdgm) were not quite "rocket science", I don't think it would be wise and advisable for me to play the role of this site's moderators. They have infinite much more experience than me in trying to troubleshoot our daily "miseries". I'm sure that not only mdgm but any other moderator would be glad to help you with your problem - and they would do it much better than me.

Regards,

CraftWorks

Message 24 of 54
StephenB
Guru

@CraftWorks wrote:

[Netgear mods] have infinite much more experience than me in trying to troubleshoot...

Certainly for this problem - I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all fix.  There's more than one thing that could be wrong, and there is least one recent fix in 6.9.4 beta.

Message 25 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements