× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Subfolder permission problem rsync over SSH

mgideon
Aspirant

Subfolder permission problem rsync over SSH

I plan to use rsync over SSH to backup three computers.  Each computer has a user; User1, User2, and User3.  All three users should have access to all folders/subfolders. 

My NAS structure is:

Backups

Computer 1

Computer 2

Computer 3

User1 is the only one that is working right. Each user does have access to the main Backups folder.  User1 can access all folders/subfolders.  User2 and User3 can only acces the main folder (Backups).

All 3 users are set up identically.  I went through every filed of every tab. They have allow shell access and rsync only.  

Why can one user (User1) access everthing while the others cannot?  On the Shares page I see how to set permissions on the main folder (which I did, as all 3 have access), but I cannot find how to set or look at permissions on subfolders from this view.  I temporarly turned off rsync only and ssh'ed into the NAS and looked at the permissions on the subfolders.  The admin user and group owns all three subfolders - all 770.

Thanks

Model: RN3220|ReadyNAS 3220
Message 1 of 3
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Subfolder permission problem rsync over SSH

Hello mgideon,

Subfolders permission are set on Windows permission. On the admin page's Shares, when you click permission for a specific share and go to File Access, the 2 drops down boxes can be set to Guest and Everyone should be marked which is the default and we do not normally change it. If you want to restrict, adjust settings or verify if everyone is allowed to access the subfolder, you need to check on on the Windows permission and security settings.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Subfolder permission problem rsync over SSH

Hello mgideon,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements