× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Swapping disks into replacement ReadyNAS Box

ranc
Aspirant

Swapping disks into replacement ReadyNAS Box

Hi all,

My ReadyNAS 204 failed recently Per my thread from 5-ish weeks ago, and I have now received teh replacement ReadyNAS 204 and want to put the 4 disks from the old ReadyNAS into the new one.  The old box had failed and I'm assuming (with fingers crossed) that the data itself is OK.

I've tried to search the forum to find out whether it's ok to just put the old disks into the new box and all will be well and just want to double check please.  I found an old thread (different ReadyNAS) where someone said it should be fine however someone else jumped in and said that need to check the firmware versions are the same.  I understand that I can check the firmware of the new (replacement) box by putting in a scratch disk, however not sure how to check what my old broken NAS had since it was returned.  I do know that I updated the firmware sometime this year, maybe Feb/March/April??  Is there any easy way to find that out?  

Also, if anybody does have any other words of wisdom or warning before I do this, could you please let me know anything I need to be aware of.  Unfortunately much of my backup was lost due to a physical move and lost disks so I'm pretty wary of not losing / corrupting this data now.

Thanks very much for any help / advice.

Ros

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Newer firmware on the replacement NAS wouldn’t be an issue and the system does automatically fix a firmware mismatch between what’s on the flash and what’s on the disks. However having much older firmware on the replacement unit (which can be the case sometimes) may in some cases be a problem. So if in doubt use a scratch disk to put the latest firmware on the replacement unit, verify the firmware update is successful (comes up fine on the new firmware after the reboot), power down, remove the scratch disk and move your disks across keeping the disk order the same.

Message 2 of 3
ranc
Aspirant

Thanks! I will let you know how it goes :).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements