× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sync two Readynas over internet using rsync (and ssh)

redstamp
Apprentice

Sync two Readynas over internet using rsync (and ssh)

I am trying to sync two ReadyNAS' over the internet using rsync backup jobs.  NAS1 in location 1.  NAS2 in location 2.

I am pushing a share from NAS1 to NAS2 (called share1 on each NAS).

When I arrive at location 2, I will then copy share1 to share2. Whilst at location 2, I work on files in share2.

Then I am pulling share2 back from NAS2 onto NAS1 and doing a PC based file sync and compare (using FreeFileSync and networked mapped drives), when I arrive back to location 1. 

I have both backup jobs configured on the NAS at location1 (push and pull).  The question I have is how do I set-up rsync over SSH in this situation?  I have read this knowledge base instruction a few times and managed to confuse myself as I am trying to configure a NAS at each end.  I am new to configuring public and private key encryption.  What I presumed was:

• I enable SSH on the NAS at both locations
  • I create a specific rsync_over_ssh user on NAS2 to accept the inbound connections over SSH (with a strong password and without shell access)
  • [Presume rsync_over_ssh user needs read & write access to share 1 and read access to share 2 (on NAS2)]
  • I create a public key when enabling SSH on NAS1 ("Download SSH key file")
  • I then use this file and "Import Public Key" on the rsync_over_ssh user on NAS2

In terms of routing the internet traffic and remaining secure, I presume I need to:

• NAT the rsync over SSH (presume just SSH port 22 and not the rsync port 873) at location 2 to enable the inbound push and pull jobs
  • Create DDNS at location 2 to map the backup jobs to a static location
  • Disable uPNP on routers at both locations to prevent automatic port 22 opening up after I enable SSH on both NAS'

Apologies for the length of the question but I just want to check this out as testing in live and getting it wrong may present a security issue

Many thanks,

Jon

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should disable password authentication (shown in one of the screenshots). You want the SSH key file to be required for access.

Yes, port 22. Port forwarding only needed on the NAS that is not running the backup job.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should disable password authentication (shown in one of the screenshots). You want the SSH key file to be required for access.

Yes, port 22. Port forwarding only needed on the NAS that is not running the backup job.

Message 2 of 4
redstamp
Apprentice

thanks mgdm - everything else is correct then i take...

Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I think so.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements