× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Terrible mistake with Duo

LodyJ
Aspirant

Hi,
In the process of setting up my new ReadyNAS Duo, I made a terrible mistake.
To get things running I put the wrong harddisk in the NAS.
When I saw that the NAS began to format the disc with X-Raid, I took it out immedialtely.
The disc was originally my backup disc for my photographs and I should have used it's empty twin...
I used various kinds of recovery software, but sofar I only was able to retrieve my analog scans (about 15,000), but I can't find my digital pictures anymore (about 10,000 pictures).

Do you have a utility, that is capable of restoring the data on the harddisk i.e. "un-formatting that disc from X-Raid to NTFS".....????

Best regards,
Lody J. Claessen
Message 1 of 8
devilsrear
Aspirant

Re: Terrible mistake with Duo

I saw this post which is similar:-

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61048
Message 2 of 8
Wish
Aspirant

I read on another forum that the program testdisk is good and it's free.
They also have photorec, not sure if it is the same program or something different.
Message 3 of 8
KillerBob
Aspirant

It all depends how much your data is worth to you?

I formatted a disc a few years ago by mistake. I took it out of the NAS (not ReadyNAS) and initially tried by using some tools I found myself. I did get some back, but not some pictures of my late grandparents. So, I contacted a data recovery company in the UK. They promised 99% recovery on a 600GB disc, at an incredibly high price. But, in talking to them I also heard mention of some specific tools, FileRecovery for Windows, which I found on the web, downloaded a tester, and eventually bought it, and recovered all the files myself (at a fraction of the cost).

What I am saying is; the professional recovery services may be good, and they do claim high recovery rates, but they are expensive like hell. Companies even shy away from using them, unless it is very important data, and then usually only in physical damage cases. Your attempt is often as good as theirs, and they will not use more sophisticated tools. Try out all the trials you can find until you find one which works, and then buy the darn thing, and get your files back. They are most likely still there.

Good luck!

Bo
Message 4 of 8
amac27
Aspirant

you may try to use Photorec to recover the files. Here is a link for it http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step.
Message 5 of 8
LodyJ
Aspirant

Brilliant..!
Lots of info to work with.
I'll try them out and will get back with results.
Thanks a lot in the meantime.!
LodyJ
Message 6 of 8
cnl2860
Aspirant

I had the exact same problem as you. And I used photorec on Linux... Tried on windows 7. But no luck there..
You need to have a second drive with at least the same free space as theres data on the formatted drive. Off cause ..

You should just bear in mind that the data will come out as files only. No folders, and no file names either.

If its a photo collection you can use the meta data to sort the photos. 🙂 The same with a music collection. And movies.

Hope you can use it. 🙂

Good luck 🙂
Message 7 of 8
LodyJ
Aspirant

FYI,

I've used a number of recovery programs now, but the most promising result I got was with "Easyus Partition Recovery".
I have to make one more run and then wil see the final results.

I'll let you know soon.

Thanks for helping.
LodyJ
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements