× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: The turn on Problem

gnfb
Aspirant

The turn on Problem

Ok I have a Ready Nas  RND 4000 RND 4b

Have owned for a few years now and when it is switched on works fine

when i have had power failures trying to switch it back on is an epic event

I think i have found that leaving the lead out for awhile helps but this time nothing seems to work

Can I have some guidance as to where i proceed from here

There seems to have been a fair few issues with the turn on aspect

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
gnfb
Aspirant

Service department is replacing power supply

I do have a uninteruptable power supply but it only lasts for 20 minutes

Most powere cuts in NZ last for several hours

Also I would like to think that one could turn a unit of and back on without any issues

Thanks for your comments though

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
gnfb
Aspirant

I have just discoveded that believe it or not it says my unit is still under warranty !!! I should buy a lotto ticket now we will see how netgear perform. Bearing in mind this is New Zealand that has some of the most severe consumer laws on the planet!

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I redacted your serial number (it isn't needed here).

If this is an RND4000-100 (also called an "NV+ v1") then the hardware/chassis warranty should be 5 years for the original purchaser.  A v1 runs 4.1.x firmware (a v2 runs 5.x.x firmware).  More information on platform identification is here: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

When you open your support case, you can post the ticket number here - that will allow Netgear support folks who follow the forum to connect the dots between your posts and the case notes.

If the NAS is running, then I suggest your highest priority is to make/update your backups.  After that, I'd check disk health - at least reviewing the SMART stats.  If you have ssh enabled on the NAS, you might check for a filling OS partition (not the same as the C volume).

If the NAS isn't booting/running, then just wait for support to contact you.  

Message 3 of 8
gnfb
Aspirant

Your online case (#25854397)

Message 4 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

When you have sorted this out, start using an uninterruptible power supply.  You've clearly had this problem a number of times, it will happen again, and it's easy to prevent.

Message 5 of 8
gnfb
Aspirant

Service department is replacing power supply

I do have a uninteruptable power supply but it only lasts for 20 minutes

Most powere cuts in NZ last for several hours

Also I would like to think that one could turn a unit of and back on without any issues

Thanks for your comments though

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@gnfb wrote:

Many data-loss stories posted here begin with an unexpected power loss.  

If the NAS is connected to the UPS with USB, it should shut down cleanly when your UPS tells the NAS that battery power is critically low.  If that's not happening, then you should certainly troubleshoot that problem after you get the NAS up and running again.

It is easy to safely troubleshoot btw.  Just connect the NAS directly to the mains (leaving the USB connection to the NAS in place).  Then put a load on the UPS (a old incandescent light will do), and disconnect the UPS from the mains.  The NAS should shut down before the light goes out.

Message 7 of 8
vandermerwe
Master

Yea as StephenB has said, the main benefit of the UPS is to facilitate a controlled shutdown which the redynas should do if connected properly.

Of course if you wanted to bridge a very long power cut you'd need both UPS and a generator

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements