× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra 4 stuck in "Booting" display

HomeMediaServer
Aspirant

Ultra 4 stuck in "Booting" display

Hi All,

I am new to this board but having been using the ReadyNAS series for a while.

I am having a problem with a Ultra 4 being stuck in the "Booting" display. I have tried a factory restore and a OS re-install with no luck. The display gets stuck at "Booting".

I am running the 4.2.19 firmware version.

I would like to get the specific instructions to reload the internal flash from a USB stick on the RNDU4000.

I use Putty to access many devices from my Windows box and use ubuntu, debian, and redhat at work but I cannot seem to determine the correct sequence to get this box reloaded properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks 😄
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ultra 4 stuck in "Booting" display

Just wondering - have you tested the disks?
Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree testing the disks is the first thing I would check.

Loading the firmware from USB is unlikely to be the solution and would be likely to create further problems.
Message 3 of 12
HomeMediaServer
Aspirant

Thanks, that is an idea.

I had pulled out the disk I am testing this ultra 4 out from my other Ultra 4 (Unit A), wiped the disk and inserted it into this Ultra 4 (Unit B).

I performed the test and wipe on the test disk and re-inserted it back into the unit B ultra.

The unit B ultra goes through the below process.
The LCD on unit B displays "Booting", then "Factory Reset", then "Testing disks" (completes successfully with the one disk), "Awaiting RAIDar", the unit is found in the RAIDar software, I click "Setup" for the unit B ultra, select the default "X-RAID2", then the display changes to "Initialing FW".

I then get the message on the display: "ERR: Could not p" (This seems to be a joke from the programmer), then it goes on with "Create C: ".
When that is finished the display changes to "Booting...", flashes the activity LED for a bit and seems to get stuck.

I have tried multiple disk erases, factory resets and OS re-installs with different combinations but they all seem to get stuck at the "Booting" message.

Any help to point me in the correct direction to fix the issue would be great. 😄
Message 4 of 12
HomeMediaServer
Aspirant

Reviewing my last post,
I did not answer your question very well.

Yes, the two disks I have been trying I did a low level surface test on them and the came out clean.

I have been trying the disks out one at a time in the unit B ultra.

I have used these disks in the Ultra A unit and took them out for an upgrade, wiped them, tested them and placed them into unit B.

It really seems like a software issue in ultra B.

Thanks
Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'll have a look if you like. Sent you a PM.

That "ERR: Could not p" message is significant and I'm fairly confident now what the issue is.

You could try a USB Boot Recovery but that would likely have a side effect which would mean you'd need remote help anyway.
Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Should be fixed now.
Message 7 of 12
MR2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue 😐

is there anyway the Netgear RaidAR could be altered to be able to re-fresh the Flash when it falls over?

I've tried fresh disks, tried a factory default, tried a OS reset etc without getting anywhere

it's an RNDU4000

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have also sent you a PM.

Message 9 of 12
pietervv
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my ReadyNAS Ultra 4.
I've already tested the discs, tried the factory reset and OS reinstall but nothing helps.
Could you please provide me with the information to boot with an external USB?

thanks in advance!

Message 10 of 12
jeredbrent
Aspirant

Same issue here, tried all of the above, swapped drives etc...

I found the os6-recovery-tool and the latest firmware from the netgear support site but the recovery tools doesn't display the image file when trying to create the recovery usb drive.

Could you please pm the details for getting the usb recovery working!

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 11 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jeredbrent,

Welcome to the community!

Which ReadyNAS model are you using? Also, tell us which Firmware is running on your system. Listed below are guides on how to make a USB recovery tool for 4.2 system and OS 6 system.

ReadyNAS 4.2.x USB Recovery Tool

ReadyNAS OS 6 USB Recovery Tool

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements