× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ultra doesn't back up Tivo h.264 recordings

ExNASATerry
Aspirant

Ultra doesn't back up Tivo h.264 recordings

My ReadyNAS Ultra 4 stopped backing up Tivo files recorded (under "Save until I delete") on certain channels. After much investigation, I discovered it will not copy files that Comcast has started broadcasting in h.264 format. It still backs up MPEG-2 files.

Is there a firmware fix in work that will bring back the capability to automatically back up these Tivo recordings? Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Ultra doesn't back up Tivo h.264 recordings

Hello ExNASATerry,

What's the firmware version of the NAS? 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
ExNASATerry
Aspirant

Firmware is 4.2.30

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 3 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ExNASATerry,

How about upgrading to firmware version 4.2.31?

Regards,

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Since 4.2.31 has one patch in it, for Samba CVE-2017-7494, it is unlikely that it will fix this problem.

What method are you using to perform the backup?  Are there any messages in the backup log related to these files? 

The NAS has no way of knowing the content type of a file, so it's not going to be the h.264 that's causing the problem.  Rather, it is going to be something else they changed at the same time.  You may have better luck finding out what that something is in a Tivo forum than here.  One possibility is that it is an intentional backup protection.  It may also be an unintended side-effect.

Message 5 of 9
ExNASATerry
Aspirant

Hey, I'm back from vacation now. I upgraded to .31. No change; backup still stops after 164MB.

Message 6 of 9
ExNASATerry
Aspirant

Yes, I suspect the problem has something to do with how the Tivo broadcasts the file. They recently updated their OS to support Comcast's change to h.264, so I'm guessing they goobered up something in the process.

Message 7 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ExNASATerry,

There is a possibility that the tivo files that was recorded has somewhat file protection/permission. That is the reason why the NAS cannot backup since it doe not have read/write access to it.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ExNASATerry,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information I’ve provided has helped resolve your concern or if you need further assistance.  If ever your concern has been resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements