× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Add New Volume

prasanthc
Aspirant

Unable to Add New Volume

Added a new 4TB HDD to NAS. It is the same size and make of the previous one. The NAS synced for several hours and the HDD now shows up in the NAS. However I am unable to format or add new volume. I swithced to FlexRAID and it is not working

Capture.JPG

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to Add New Volume

If X-RAID was enabled when you added the disk it would have been automatically used to provide redundancy. That's what the several hours of syncing was doing.

You can backup your data, disable X-RAID (if it's currently enabled), destroy the volume (note this wipes all data) and then create the new ones you want and then restore your data from backup.

Alternatively you could add another disk and this time you would get expansion using X-RAID.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
armybill
Aspirant

thats crazy

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If X-RAID was enabled when you added the disk it would have been automatically used to provide redundancy. That's what the several hours of syncing was doing.

You can backup your data, disable X-RAID (if it's currently enabled), destroy the volume (note this wipes all data) and then create the new ones you want and then restore your data from backup.

Alternatively you could add another disk and this time you would get expansion using X-RAID.

Message 3 of 6
prasanthc
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Could you be a bit more clear? Did the new disk create redundancy because X Raid was enabled?

I cannot backup data; was using NAS as backup. Is there someway of doing this without destroying the two disks

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@prasanthc wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Could you be a bit more clear? Did the new disk create redundancy because X Raid was enabled?

Yes.  By default, with XRAID

• a single disk uses a jbod volume
  • adding a second disk converts to RAID-1 (mirrored)
  • adding disk 3 converts to RAID-5 (single redundancy via parity)
  • Adding disk 7 converts to RAID-6 (dual redundancy via parity)

@prasanthc wrote:

I cannot backup data; was using NAS as backup. Is there someway of doing this without destroying the two disks

If the NAS is primary storage, then you do need a backup.   RAID alone is not enough to keep your data safe.  If it is backing up other devices, then it might not need a backup (depending on your overall backup strategy).

At this point the only non-destructive path is to add another 4 TB disk to the array (which will give you an 8 TB volume).

If you do destroy the volume and switch to flexraid, then I recommend creating two volumes (one for each disk).   A single volume is fragile - when either disk fails, then you lose all the data on both disks.  With two volumes, a disk failure only loses the data on the failed disk.

Message 5 of 6
prasanthc
Aspirant

Thanks and that helps solve the issue. Appreciate all the quick responses

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements