× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to FW update

jzeevi
Aspirant

Unable to FW update

I have this same problem when attempting to upgrade from 6.2.5 except that if I power cycle the box, it reboots in 6.2.0. What can I do to upgrade to the latest FW since 6.2.0 on my box has issues with copying files.

I had tried multiple versions in the 6.1.x to 6.2.x fiasco and still no resolution.

Can anyone (netgear?) help?

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
jzeevi
Aspirant

Re: Unable to FW update - solved

Using a tip from JennC about trying to update manually, instead of through the web interface, I was able to point at the 6.2.5 zip file, run the update and reboot.

After a few minutes of activity on the NAS, it came up indicated 6.2.5 is now the FW level.

Thanks to JennC and mdgm for their support on this.

Now on to functional testing! (Can I actually copy large amounts of data to/from the NAS? - which was the lockup problem before SW upgrades last year).

josef

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see your additional information here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-to-ReadyNAS/6-2-5-on-Readynas-104/m-p/977503#M8702

Do you get any errors when you reboot the box when you attempt to do a firmware update?

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

Hi.

Sorry about not finding the right thread to post on. I tried to search for something, but it wasn't clear as to which one would be the best.

I did not notice any errors during the reboot, but I wasn't paying that close attention. After I powered the box down then up, I walked away knowing it would be several minutes. When I returned, the box was up, but with 6.2.0 as the FW (which is what it was prior to attempting to upgrade). While you are reviewing the logs (sent to the appropriate address as System_log-JZNas-20150903-081909.zip) I will retry the upgrade sequence but pay attention to the messages on/from the display on the box.

Thanks for your assistance. Let me know what else you would like me to do/try. ALso, let me know if I should send the logs elsewhere....

josef

Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I did not get your email.

Message 4 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

Additional info: in the kernel log, around the time of the reboot, I found this:

mvSFlashInit ERROR: Unknown SPI flash device!
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: ERROR: sflash_probe - Failed to initialize the SFlash.
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: armada-nand armada-nand.0: Initialize HAL based NFC in 8bit mode with DMA Disabled using BCH 4bit ECC
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0xf1 (Hynix NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: Bad block table found at page 65472, version 0x01
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: Bad block table found at page 65408, version 0x01
Sep 01 15:46:24 JZNas kernel: mtd: no mtd-id

in the FWBroker.log, there are several entries indicating that 6.2.5 is being looked at, but no indication (that I can tell :-)) of what it's doing with that info.

I'm sure there's other important details int he logs, I just am not familiar enough with the files to know.

josef

Message 5 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jzeevi,

Have you tried manuall'/loaclly upgrading the firmware?

See http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29498

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

I will try that when I get home this afternoon.

Message 7 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

I resent them to NBSU_Logs at netgear.com (obviously with the correct substitution for "at"). My email client shows both emails were sent.

Is there a secondary way to get them to you?

josef

Message 8 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

Got this response from the emails I sent trying to send the logs:

NBSU_Logs@netgear.com
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message. Please try to resend the message later.

mailgw3.netgear.com gave this error:
Error: too many hops

That happened twice, out of the three times I tried to send the logs. It appears your mail daemon is unhappy with my email. Do you have any suggestions? (I was able to do this before, during similar issues with the 6.1.8 timeframe updates.)

Message 9 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello jzeevi,

You may use wikisend.com and upload the logs, then post here the download link or PM mdgm the download link.

Regards,

Message 10 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

JennC, 

Thanks for the very useful pointer on how to do that. The file is uploaded to:

http://wikisend.com/download/375102/System_log-JZNas-20150903-081909.zip

I will PM with mdgm about that as well.

josef

Message 11 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

Re: Unable to FW update - solved

Using a tip from JennC about trying to update manually, instead of through the web interface, I was able to point at the 6.2.5 zip file, run the update and reboot.

After a few minutes of activity on the NAS, it came up indicated 6.2.5 is now the FW level.

Thanks to JennC and mdgm for their support on this.

Now on to functional testing! (Can I actually copy large amounts of data to/from the NAS? - which was the lockup problem before SW upgrades last year).

josef

Message 12 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

I've run the tests suggested in the PM from mdgm and uploaded the logs (There's a PM poiting to them for mdgm). Unfortunately, the NAS is still locking up after 500-600 GB of files downloaded (I"m trying to backup my files in case I need to reformat the NAS to get it working without locking up).

josef

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like you are running too much on the NAS and this is what is causing it to lockup.

Message 14 of 15
jzeevi
Aspirant

Caveat: I'm sorry if this sounds snippy, but I'm rather frustrated because I don't have enough information to understand what's going on.

Can you be a bit more specific? As far as I know, I only have the NAS functionality up and running. I installed the app iRedMail, but haven't configured it (and it won't automatically remove). I'd get rid of it manually if I knew where all the pieces were. I am running the antivirus service, but (to my knowledge) those are the only things besides the services that I think are needed for my installation.

If memory is the issue, I'll turn some stuff off, but need guidance as to what's required and what's not. I've asked, but haven't found an answer: is there a way to increase memory capacity on an RN104?

Also, why would copying a bunch of files lock up the NAS from a memory perspective? Isn't that the point of a NAS?

Would it work better if I built a script to copy a file, wait 1-3 seconds and then copy another to get my data backed up?

If the released FW doesn't support copying files (that's the activity that causes my NAS to lock up) what's the purpose?

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements