× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Uninstall Plex so I can reinstall

greispe
Tutor

Unable to Uninstall Plex so I can reinstall

Having recently update my ReadyNAS 516 to 6.4, I also wanted to upgrade to the lastest version of Plex. When I tried to install plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39_amd64.deb, I received an error message that it was unable to install the software. I decided to try an start over, by uninstalling Plex. That failed and now it appears I have a partially uninstalled copy of Plex.

How can I start over and reinstall Plex without having to reset the ReadyNAS?

Message 1 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to Uninstall Plex so I can reinstall

Hello greispe,

Have you tried on a different web browser?

How about rebooting the NAS then try uninstalling again?

Regards,

Message 2 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Every attempt at unstalling Plex from the web interface failed. It just popped up a window with the uninstalling message and then stayed there forever.

I finally found some suggestions on the community to perform a manual uninstall:

# apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries

This was not totally successful until I removed the plexmediaserver folder in the apps folder. Then it finally did not show up on the web UI. I then reinstalled an older version of Plex (Version 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39 the one that is on the apps page) rather than the current version (Version 0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca) since that was the update that created the initial problem (locked up Plex, since it generated an "unable to install" error message)

Bottom line: I had to do a manual unintall in order to reinstall Plex.

Question: Since the release on the apps page seems to be two releases behind what Plex has on their web site

Message 3 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello greispe,

May I ask where did you get the version 0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca?

I only see version 0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39.

Regards,

Message 4 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Jenn:

When you start up Plex on the ReadyNAS it informs you that there is an update. When you go the plex web site, you can find it here:

https://plex.tv/downloads

When you select Netgear, you'll see the links for each of the ReadyNAS plafforms.

Message 5 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello greispe,

It appears this update from Plex is not somehow posted on the apps of the ReadyNAS.

Please send logs with subject line ATTN: Alex and Jenn. See instructions here.

Regards,

Message 6 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Jenn

That was exactly my point. It is not posted on the Netgear apps site.

Why do you need my logs??

Message 7 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello greispe,

I'm getting someone to check it and might need to remote into your NAS.

You can also try contacting support center to have this checked by L3 and go in backend and try reinstalling the updated version.

Regards,

Message 8 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Ok, I understand.

Since the version that is on the Netgear app store works fine, I'll postpone updating Plex until you have it in your app store.

Message 9 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello greispe,

Thanks for undestanding. I've already reported this and we are expecting the available latest version on ReadyNAS apps to be updated soon.

Thank you for raising this one. We appreciate your contribution to the community, please feel free to keep posting!

Regards,

Message 10 of 15
ClintW
Aspirant

Hello

Is ther an update to this, as i am having the same problem, except i can't uninstall PLEX noe it is corrupt.

Thanks

Message 11 of 15
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ClintW,

Welcome to the community!

Please see if same problem using BETA 6.4.1-T21.

Regards,

Message 12 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Jenn:

It's been awhile since I reverted to the old version of Plex on my ReadyNAS. I noticed there is still no update to the Plex app on your app site while Plex has issued several updates since the older version you currently have posted.

When will you be putting up a more current version of the Plex app?

Peter Greis

Message 13 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I am currently running the latest PlexPass version on my 516, have updated Plex on my 516 several times and updating it works fine for me.

We will see about getting a more current version of the Plex app on our app site. I have already enquired about this.

Message 14 of 15
greispe
Tutor

Thanks for the update. I went ahead and updated to the latest version of Plex for the ReadyNAS and it worked fine!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements