× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to copy files from DVD to NAS where source has RO parent directories

jj23
Tutor

Unable to copy files from DVD to NAS where source has RO parent directories

Im transfering the contents of my DVD data library to NAS.

When using drag & drop the copy fails. The top level directories copy over ok, but because the DVD had all directories with the RO flags set, the copy subsequently fails when it attempts to copy files (contained within the DVD's readonly directories).

Draging the same DVD folder to my desktop -  the copy is successful, directory & files all copy across. As the behaviour using the NAS drive is different I presume its the NAS drive that has the problem

Any ideas.

Message 1 of 7
cpu8088
Virtuoso

Re: Unable to copy files from DVD to NAS where source has RO parent directories

you cant just copy the files/directories from dvd to any folder.

there are many dvd rip programs for u to use to remove macrovision protection etc

Message 2 of 7
jj23
Tutor

Thanks for your comment, you may have missed that the DVD copies perfectly ok when is contents is dropped on to windows 7 desktop. The DVD's are my data DVDs not proprietary ones with protection. They contain no copy protection mechanism, no ripping is required.

There has to be something about the ReadyNAS 6.2.5 handling of the drag & drop. I understand you are not dropping onto a disk, but are actually passing the files to a program (ReadyNAS) that interprets the request before writing the files to its drives. It looks like ReadyNas doesn’t recognise that it receiving a 'package of files' to be handled as a collective entity. But seems to be handling them discreetly, writes the directory & its attributes in stage one, then the files but then says ‘you can’t do that. The directory is read only’. Sounds like a major bug in the NAS software. I don’t know if I’d purchased a different make whether I would have been any better off.

The only thing I know is that Windows defines the reasonably expected behaviour; I don’t expect the destination (which is just emulating a windows file share) to start ‘remove’ capabilities.

I’m now not sure whether the NAS drive is up to the job I was expecting it to do.

Message 3 of 7
jj23
Tutor

More confused now.

Creating a readonly structure on my pc's drive & then dragging it to the NAS share works perfectly. So the fact the drag derives from the DVD is the key factor.

I now also don’t believe I understand the directory flag 'Read Only (only applies to files in folder)' It seems to be pervasively set on almost every directory I inspect or create (pc, DVD & NAS!). Though everything seems to function R/W, except a drop from the DVD to the NAS drive.

n.b. I really did appreciate your feedback. you are correct the DVD is the key factor I just dont think its to do with protection/ripping.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking it isn't the RO attribute, but it likely something else.

If you copy the DVD to the desktop first, can you then copy it from the desktop to the NAS?

Message 5 of 7
jj23
Tutor

Absolutely, no problems copying DVD to the desktop. No problems copying from desktop to NAS.

But DVD to NAS fails,

Message 6 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

What happens if you allow it to copy the directories, then go into the share settings and reset permissions, then try to copy some files into one of the (previously read only) directories?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements