× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to create RAID 0 volume on ReadyNAS duo v2 with two disks

dischler
Tutor

Unable to create RAID 0 volume on ReadyNAS duo v2 with two disks

I have a ReadyNAS duo v2 with two identical 3TB disks that used to be running X-RAID2.

I want to change it to RAID 0, so that I will have a single 6TB volume (without redundancy).

I've tried multiple times to run factory reset and then select RAID 0 at setup. However every time the NAS starts up with RAID 1.

I've also tried a factory reset with only one disk in the NAS. Then the system starts up with RAID 0. However I don't know if it's possible to expand this volume by inserting a second disk.

Best regards,

Eirik

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to create RAID 0 volume on ReadyNAS duo v2 with two disks

Give RAIDar 4.3.8 a try then.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you following the procedure on page 22-23: http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/UM/RAIDiator5-3_Home_SW_en_Nov711.pdf

Though I don't recommend creating a RAID-0 volume that spans multiple disks.  It is very fragile (either drive fails and the entire volume is lost).

Message 2 of 9
Dr_Data
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem, did you find a resolution?

Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which version of RAIDar are you running?

You may need to use the older version: RAIDar 4.3.8

Message 4 of 9
dischler
Tutor

StephenB: Yes, I'm following the procedure in the manual, basically pages 24-25. 

In step 3 on page 25 I select "0" from the drop down menu where it says "Select the desired RAID level". However, when the setup finishes the system is RAID 1. It thus seems that the installer ignores this selection, and automatically assigns a RAID level as described in the table at the top of page 28. 

(Note: I'm well aware of the danger of running RAID 0, but I have enough redundancy elsewhere; another NAS, cloud, external disks etc...)

mdgm: I'm using RAIDar 5.3 I'll try your suggestion and use RAIDar 4.3.8. Will update the case when done.

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is no RAIDar 5.3.

I am referring to the RAIDar client on your PC not the RAIDiator firmware on the NAS.

Message 6 of 9
dischler
Tutor

mdgm: Ah, sorry. I was not at home when I wrote the reply, so I didn't actually check. I'm still not home, but I'm pretty sure it is RAIDar 6.0 because I downloaded RAIDar quite recently before starting this attempt to change RAID level. And the GUI looks exactly like this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27391/~/introducing%3A-raidar-6.0 

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Give RAIDar 4.3.8 a try then.

Message 8 of 9
dischler
Tutor

Just tried using RAIDar 4.3.8, and finally I was able to setup RAID 0. Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements