× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to remove UPS from RN104 running OS6.25

iceweasel
Aspirant

Unable to remove UPS from RN104 running OS6.25

I'm trying to move a UPS from a secondary RN104 to the primary. I decided to do the initial setup on the new device rather than screw with the one which was fully operational. After learning how to configure and setup remote monitoring I'm trying to remove the USB version of the UPS from the "new" (ie second) RN so it can be configured for remote monitoring of the UPS on the primary RN device. I had no problem cofiguring the primary RN to remove the remote monitor and the UPS is now fully connected to the primary RN.

The secondary RN is where I'm having issues. I can't delete the original instance of the UPS. I can create a remote UPS monitor and that works fine, and I can delete that. But I can't do anything with the original, auto-configured UPS. I've even moved the UPS back to the USB port on the new device to see if that would help, but it doesn't. The option to delete remins unactive so it can't be clicked. The configuration sprocket is active, but there's nothing there which looks like it will help me.

The Online KB sucks in this matter. It's outdated. There are so many pages talking about the UPS being located under System>Settings, but it's under System>Power. Someone needs to update the online KB to idicate OS version or something because it's not helpful in its current state! I posted several "not useful" comments for those pages, but suspect those won't ever be read.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
iceweasel
Aspirant

Re: Unable to remove UPS from RN104 running OS6.25

So I went back and tried the original (logical) method to remove the attached UPS. I  shut down the RN, removed the UPS, and restarted the RN. The RN started up without a UPS in the power section. I was able to add the remote UPS monitor and things are good. I'm not sure what happened the first few times disconnecting the UPS, but something was different this latest time. I guess this could just serve as a warning the UPS removal may not work as expected.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still have this problem on 6.4.0 beta?

Message 2 of 4
iceweasel
Aspirant

I'm not using the beta software.

I can check what happens on 6.2.4.

The new device isn't fully setup (not populated with data) so the beta update may be something I would consider installing.

I'd expect the system to either forget about a UPS which is no longer attached, or at least allow the user to delete it. I'm not sure why there's any persistance with a plug-n-play device like this. Could this have anything to do with setuping up a remote UPS monitor which would share a SN or other device specifics?

Message 3 of 4
iceweasel
Aspirant

So I went back and tried the original (logical) method to remove the attached UPS. I  shut down the RN, removed the UPS, and restarted the RN. The RN started up without a UPS in the power section. I was able to add the remote UPS monitor and things are good. I'm not sure what happened the first few times disconnecting the UPS, but something was different this latest time. I guess this could just serve as a warning the UPS removal may not work as expected.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements