× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updated to 6.7.5 on Ultra 6 plus and now I have 2 Raid groups

jamestx10
Aspirant

Updated to 6.7.5 on Ultra 6 plus and now I have 2 Raid groups

On 6.7.4 I had one RAID volume using all six disks in X-Raid. Updated to 6.7.5, system rebooted got a degraded alert and now I have Raid Group 1 using disk 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6 in raid 5 and Raid Group 2 using disk 4, 5 & 6 in raid 5. From a simple first check data seems to be fine and I can access shares.

Any ideas on what to try?

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Interesting - I'm not seeing that.  Not sure if it's because your volume is degraded, or if it's because all my disks are the same size.

I'd make a backup first.

You could try removing disk 4, unformatting it, and then reinserting it.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are your disks of unequal size?  That would explain multiple RAID groups.  If so, can you let us know that the disk size in each slot?

Message 2 of 10
jamestx10
Aspirant

They are different sizes:

Disk 1, 2 & 3 are all 2 TB

Disk 4, 5 & 6 are all 3 TB

I did not see anything in the release notes about that feature changing.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@jamestx10 wrote:

I did not see anything in the release notes about that feature changing.

Perhaps I am not understanding what you mean by RAID group.  I was assuming that you were looking at mdstat.log.

Mixed disk sizes with XRAID require multiple groups as outlined here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Mixing-drive-makes-models-within-a-NAS/m-p/131...  This has always been the case, it is not something new for 6.7.5.

So you should have two RAID-5 groups for the data volume - one that uses 2 TB per disk and spans disks 1-6, and a second that uses 1 TB per disk and spans disks 4-6.  These should be labled md1xx in mdstat.log.

mdstat.log will show two more groups for OS use - md0 and md1.

The data volume RAID groups are assembled into one volume.

Anyway, if you are looking somewhere other than mdstat.log, please let us know where.

Message 4 of 10
jamestx10
Aspirant

This is in the GUI and was not reported like that before this OS update.

Raid1

Raid2

Raid 1 is also missing disk 4 and I would guess that is why it says that "Volume data is Degraded". I am fine with it displaying the 2 raid groups but I would like to get the volume healthy again.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Interesting - I'm not seeing that.  Not sure if it's because your volume is degraded, or if it's because all my disks are the same size.

I'd make a backup first.

You could try removing disk 4, unformatting it, and then reinserting it.

Message 6 of 10
jamestx10
Aspirant

I will have to try that when I am back at that location. Thankfully this IS my backup device so worse case I could repopulate it over the LAN if it all goes south. Thanks for your quick input and I will update after I have tried that.

Message 7 of 10
jamestx10
Aspirant

That worked. I still have two raid groups showing in the GUI and it does not say that it is X-Raid so that is a little concerning down the road if I would replace some of the 2 TB drives with larger ones but for now the volume is online and happy. THANKS

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Glad that it is redundant again.

Is the green stripe present on the XRAID control?  If not, you might turning XRAID back on - that is non-destructive.

Message 9 of 10
jamestx10
Aspirant

No green strip so I clicked it, switched to X-Raid and now the GUI no longer shows two raid groups.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements