× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updating existing OS6 install on legacy unit

buriedpast
Guide

Updating existing OS6 install on legacy unit

Hello,

Just a quick question ... I previously upgraded my Ultra 6 Plus from OS 4.2.30 to OS 6.6.0 and all is working great without any problems.  I just recently noticed when entering Raidar that a newer OS 6.6.1 is now available.  My question is whether one just uses the update function as shown in OS 6.6.0 to update a legacy unit, or is it necessary to perform a manual install of a downloaded bin file since the update is being performed on a legacy unit.

I'm probably just being over cautious, but searching the forum hasn't yielded an answer to this question.

Thanks,

Model: RNDP600U|READYNAS ULTRA PLUS 6 |EOL
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
buriedpast
Guide

Works for me.  If mdgm is telling me it's OK to update from the OS interface, it's info from "on high" as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, just updated from the OS interface and everything is copacetic.

Consider the topic closed

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

The update function will work on legacy units, however 6.6.1 is/was in the process of being loaded to the Netgear server(s).

If you want it now you can download it HERE

Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Either method of updating is fine. We make the update available for manual download before putting it on the update servers.

Message 3 of 9
buriedpast
Guide

Works for me.  If mdgm is telling me it's OK to update from the OS interface, it's info from "on high" as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, just updated from the OS interface and everything is copacetic.

Consider the topic closed

Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I should clarify you can't use the .bin file once you are on OS6. You'd have to use the same x86_64 .img file we use for our current x86_64 systems if doing a manual update.

The .bin file tricks RAIDiator-x86 into thinking the OS6 image is a RAIDiator-x86 image so that it accepts it. However OS6 will expect an OS6 image so once you're running OS6 a standard .img file will work fine for doing any future firmware updates. This .img firmware file is the same image that is used by the update servers.

Message 5 of 9
itbedguy22
Tutor

I tried updating on my Ultra 2 (RNDU2000) and now it just sits there unresponsive and all the lights are on with a sporadic blinknig of the aCT light.  I haven't used this NAS in while but I had upgraded it to OS6 way back and decided to pull it out and turn it on.  It was working fine and had prompted to update to 6.6.1 which when I read this post it sounded like it shouldn't be problem.  Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try disconnecting the power then reconnecting it and trying to boot the system again. If that doesn't resolve the problem have a look at the PM I just sent.

Message 7 of 9
itbedguy22
Tutor

WHoops.  I saw the PM first and not this.  Should I still go ahead and try this first or wait now?

Marc

Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

itbedguy22's system appears to be fixed now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements