× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade RN316, then reuse a drive in RN104

BernyB
Tutor

Upgrade RN316, then reuse a drive in RN104

Hi,

I have 4x3TB drives in a RN316 and 3x3TB in a RN104 for replication, both already runing last os and X-Raid.   I want to remove one 3TB drive and add 3x4TB in the RN316 to fill the six bay (3x3TB + 3x4TB), then move the 3TB in the last bay of the RN104.  What would be the best way to do it in order to prevent any issue ?   Do I need to unformat the removed 3TB on a PC before to install it in the RN104?  Should I add the 4TB drives one by one after removing the 3TB?  Any advise would be appreciated!

Bern

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless),RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Upgrade RN316, then reuse a drive in RN104

@BernyB wrote:

I want to remove one 3TB drive and add 3x4TB in the RN316 to fill the six bay (3x3TB + 3x4TB), then move the 3TB in the last bay of the RN104.  What would be the best way to do it in order to prevent any issue ?  

If the RN104 is a full backup, then you could simply do a factory reset on the RN316 with all the drives in place, and recover data from the RN104.  That will likely be faster than expanding, though the data won't be available for a bit.

But you can

-Hot-swap one of the 4 TB drives with the 3 TB replacement, and then wait for that to resync.

-Insert the 2nd 4 TB drive. The system will first grow by 3 TB, and then after a reboot will grow by one more TB.

-Insert the last 4 TB - that should sync with no need to reboot.

The system will only sync one new drive at a time, and its best to each that finish before adding the next.

@BernyB wrote:

Do I need to unformat the removed 3TB on a PC before to install it in the RN104?  

The RN104 should give you the option to format the drive when you insert it.

But if its easy for you to unformat it, then I'd suggest doing that.  It ensures the RN104 can't get confused.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@BernyB wrote:

I want to remove one 3TB drive and add 3x4TB in the RN316 to fill the six bay (3x3TB + 3x4TB), then move the 3TB in the last bay of the RN104.  What would be the best way to do it in order to prevent any issue ?  

If the RN104 is a full backup, then you could simply do a factory reset on the RN316 with all the drives in place, and recover data from the RN104.  That will likely be faster than expanding, though the data won't be available for a bit.

But you can

-Hot-swap one of the 4 TB drives with the 3 TB replacement, and then wait for that to resync.

-Insert the 2nd 4 TB drive. The system will first grow by 3 TB, and then after a reboot will grow by one more TB.

-Insert the last 4 TB - that should sync with no need to reboot.

The system will only sync one new drive at a time, and its best to each that finish before adding the next.

@BernyB wrote:

Do I need to unformat the removed 3TB on a PC before to install it in the RN104?  

The RN104 should give you the option to format the drive when you insert it.

But if its easy for you to unformat it, then I'd suggest doing that.  It ensures the RN104 can't get confused.

Message 2 of 4
BernyB
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

I prefer expanding over recovering to keep all snapshots in the main NAS. 

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@BernyB wrote:

I prefer expanding over recovering to keep all snapshots in the main NAS. 

That's reasonable, it will just take longer (and the time increases for each added drive).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements