× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.9.0 and virtualbox compatability

funglenn
Luminary

Upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.9.0 and virtualbox compatability

I have installed virtualbox months ago and it runs very stable. autoboots when the unit is restarted. i want to upgrade from 6.6.0 to 6.9 but wonder if this will kill my current Virtualbox installation.  can i just re-install on top of the old one or do i need to clean up the old one somehow first? i am not very skilled at Debian command line stuff and remember that getting VirtualBox working was a struggle but worthwhile. I am running virtualbox-4.3_4.3.20-96996~Debian~wheezy

Howver i feel the security aspects of upgrading merit another round of pain wrestling with Virtualbox....

thoughts and help appreciated!

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.9.0 and virtualbox compatability

Hi @funglenn!

I haven't tried this setup yet, and I am not an expert when it comes to Debian, but if you are upgrading to 6.9.0, there might be Kernel updates that need some changes to the system. In this case, you may have to redo or change something on your Virtualbox.

If you are not having issues with your current setup, I would advise staying with the current version instead of pushing with the update and have to redo installations.

It would be great to hear from other users who have tried this and has expertise with Debian.

Regards,

Marc NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Upgrading from 6.6.0 to 6.9.0 and virtualbox compatability

Hi @funglenn

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the suggestions were helpful.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Marc_V

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements