× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Skywalker,

Thank you for trying to sort this out for us.

Perhaps HP can lend you one for the purposes of fixing compatibility issues. 😉

Regards,
Ian.
Message 51 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Okay, we got a 7780 in today, and I may have a solution. You can try this addon out. It should fix both of those issues. DawgDaze (and anyone else in Share security mode), you'll need to use the share name as the user name in the OfficeJet setup. If you don't have a password set on the share, just leave the password field empty.

NOTES:
* If you have any Unix/Linux clients on the network using CIFS, this addon will probably make them behave strangely. Mac OSX should be fine.
* This probably will not work in Domain security mode.
Message 52 of 142
DawgDaze
Aspirant

Skywalker,

Whatever it is they pay you, it's not enough. That worked perfectly! Thank you so much for your diligence in looking into this. The ReadyNAS is awesome, but this forum and people like yourself make it the best out there by a wide margin.

Thanks again!
Message 53 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Skywalker,

I tried this update as well. In my case, on my HP OfficeJet 9130, I have returned to the situation where I can not logon to the ReadyNAS share even though the logs indicate that the login was successful:

smbd version 3.0.22 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006
[2007/07/17 15:34:15, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [xxxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] succeeded
[2007/07/17 15:35:17, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [xxxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] succeeded
[2007/07/17 15:35:43, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)

Should I be using both patches or just the latest patch? Is the SPNEGO patch incorporated into this patch? When the SPNEGO patch was enabled I could login with the scanner but file writes failed.

If I need to use both patches then in what order should they be installed and/or enabled? Given that I don't know what state my NAS is in is there a clean and easy way to check the status of these patches?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 54 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

IanSav wrote:
Should I be using both patches or just the latest patch? Is the SPNEGO patch incorporated into this patch? When the SPNEGO patch was enabled I could login with the scanner but file writes failed.

Well, the SPNEGO patch should have been incorporated with this one, but it's being done on a client architecture basis, instead of a global basis. Perhaps the SPNEGO happens too early for the patch to work (before figuring out the client architecture). You can install the last addon (ToggleSPNEGO) once more to see if that helps. That will disable it globally. Sounds like HP fixed the bug in the 7780, but not the 9130...
Message 55 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Skywalker,
Skywalker wrote:
IanSav wrote:

Well, the SPNEGO patch should have been incorporated with this one, but it's being done on a client architecture basis, instead of a global basis. Perhaps the SPNEGO happens too early for the patch to work (before figuring out the client architecture). You can install the last addon (ToggleSPNEGO) once more to see if that helps. That will disable it globally. Sounds like HP fixed the bug in the 7780, but not the 9130...

Trust HP to make this difficult. 😉

I will try to add the SPNEGO patch one more time and see what happens...

Edit: No go 😞

The logs show that I can once again login but I now get the old data transfer error.

smbd version 3.0.22 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006
[2007/07/17 16:32:09, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [iansav] -> [xxxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] succeeded
[2007/07/17 16:32:32, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3057)
write_andX: End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59.
[2007/07/17 16:32:32, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3061)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 408 bytes
[2007/07/17 16:32:32, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3057)
write_andX: End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59.
[2007/07/17 16:32:32, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3061)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 1392 bytes
[2007/07/17 16:33:02, 0] lib/util_sock.c:receive_smb_header_raw(807)
Packet read error. Expected 81863 bytes but received 0.

What should I try next?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 56 of 142
renato1
Aspirant

Patch = perfect for 7780!

Hello, Skywalker et al.

The pach FixOfficeJet_0.1.bin works PERFECTLY for my 7780.

Thanks a lot!

This community and your support is another reason to recommend an Infrant NAS to my colleagues and friends (2 sales so far 😉

R.
Message 57 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi All,

Skywalker and I have moved our discussions to PMs for the moment. Skywalker has a patch that does work on the HP OfficeJet 1930 but he wants to improve it before release.

One of us will post back when packet traces and tests are complete.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 58 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi All,

I believe that Skywalker has now improved his fix for the HP OfficeJet 9130. I believe that the fix for this and the 7780 OfficeJets will now be incorporated into the RAIDiator 4 release.

Keep an eye open for more information when the release comes out.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 59 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

Ok, I've finally managed to get my network set up again, having moved across the country.

Sounds like things have been making progress here.

Is there an addon that works for RAIDiator 3? I tried FixOfficeJet_0.1.bin but I'm still seeing the successful authentication/invalid username problem. I'm reluctant to use the beta 4 version as this is a production network.

Thanks.
Message 60 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Jarrah,

Welcome back! 🙂
jarrah wrote:
Is there an addon that works for RAIDiator 3? I tried FixOfficeJet_0.1.bin but I'm still seeing the successful authentication/invalid username problem. I'm reluctant to use the beta 4 version as this is a production network.

Skywalker did create a patch called FixOfficeJet9130_0.1.bin but I am not sure if he wants it given out. There were issues using this patch if there are any Win 2K machines on the network. The revised patch in RAIDiator 4 does not have the limitation but it can't be applied to the RAIDiator 3 generation product.

Perhaps Skywalker can offer you the file directly if he is happy for it to be used.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 61 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

Anyone having problems scanning after the 4.00c1-p1 upgrade? It no longer seems to work for me.

Greg
Message 62 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Greg,

I am not prepared to upgrade to version 4 until the bugs are fixed and it settles down a bit. I am using my OJ9130 with the older test patch for now.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 63 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

Hi Ian,

Just in case you were wondering, I still can't scan after installing 4.00c1-p2. Here are the log messages:

[2007/12/16 08:48:05, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
smbd version 3.0.25b started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007
[2007/12/19 13:02:18, 0] smbd/server.c:main(944)
smbd version 3.0.25b started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007
[2007/12/19 15:21:09, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [greg] -> [greg] -> [greg] succeeded
[2007/12/19 15:21:31, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3116)
write_andX: (OS 😎 End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59.
[2007/12/19 15:21:31, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3120)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 1392 bytes
[2007/12/19 15:21:31, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_special(362)
Unexpected session response
[2007/12/19 15:21:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:receive_smb_header_raw(811)
Packet read error. Expected 12141 bytes but received 0.

Regards,

Greg
Message 64 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Greg,

I'm still holding out on the Version 4 upgrade until I read a few more comments from other punters.

I guess we will have to wait to see what Skywalker says about your discovery.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 65 of 142
btaroli
Prodigy

Oh my all means do it... T45 was pretty stable. 4.0c1p2 is sweet. The list of resolved issues between T45 and GA c1p2 was quite small (and is posted in the announcement).

:thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup: :woot:
Message 66 of 142
brianadkins
Tutor

Okay, we got a 7780 in today, and I may have a solution. You can try this addon out. It should fix both of those issues. DawgDaze (and anyone else in Share security mode), you'll need to use the share name as the user name in the OfficeJet setup. If you don't have a password set on the share, just leave the password field empty.

OK so I bought an HP 7780 today and was pulling my hair out trying to get the scan to ReadyNAS working without luck... I should have known that Infrant (ok.....netgear) would be able to provide support on this HP problem that was superior to HP's own support.

By the way, I am currently on RAIDiator 4.01c1-p1 [1.00a041] and the tip above about using the share name as the HP User Name was apparently the key to my woes... just got my first usable scan without a PC involved.

Thanks, guys.

-Brian
Message 67 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

I never did get it to work with the 9120 under V4. Fortunately the 9120 has a nice feature that allows a scan to be sent via email directly from the AIO, so I haven't been too worried.
Message 68 of 142
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

EDIT: Confirming that this is still a problem with 4.1.5 on the Duo. Scanner creates two files on the \\mynas\commons\scan folder of the Duo: SCAN.PDF, about 16.1K (shows as 17K rounded up) and a ".DS_Store" file containing binary gibberish but when viewed in Notepad I can also see "P D F" so it's some kind of temporary workfile or something. The scanner locks up and has to be rebooted. You can delete the .DS_Store file immediately, but scan.pdf is locked.

It would sure be nice to have a fix for this! Any thoughts or ideas???
--------------------

Just got an HPOfficjet Pro 8500 that has ADF scan to network capabilities. Set it up to scan to a Readynas Duo share, eg \\mynas\scans , with assigned passwrod for that share. It creates a SCAN.PDF file of about 17K size, then freezes. The scanner goes into neverneverland and has to be rebooted. The file cannot be deleted until some timer releases the lock from the scanner. That is, it wont allow me to go in as a user or admin and delete the scan file.

In looking back through old officejet and scanning threads in the forum, this seemed to be addressed, but I can't be sure. Any tips, tricks or traps I should try? I'm on 4.1.4 on the Duo and in the process of downloading and installing 4.1.5 as I type this, so I'll give it another go later today. Scanning to the Duo is a feature I really hoped I could get working! THANK YOU ALL.
Message 69 of 142
MWende
Aspirant

Hi @ All

i have the same Problem with an HP OfficeJet 8500. I use the RAIDiator 4.1.5, The Printer starts Scanning and then freeze.

My Samba Log:

[2009/04/26 21:58:16, 0] smbd/server.c:main(942)
smbd version 3.0.34 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
[2009/04/26 22:05:53, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [Marco] -> [Marco] -> [Marco] succeeded
[2009/04/26 22:06:11, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3118)
[2009/04/26 22:06:11, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3122)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 7172 bytes

I Try to scn to an Windows XP Clinet and it works fine.

Has anyone an Idea....
Message 70 of 142
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

This is the sad resolution email I got today. NETGEAR is missing the boat on this issue, which is only going to get worse as the HP Officejet Pro 8500 is a very hotselling device (see latest Amazon rankings) and there are pallets of them at Best Buy, Costco, Office Depot, etc. There's nothing in any Netgear marketing literature to make the buyer aware that this function is NOT supported...which is kind of like buying a car and then finding out that you can't drive it to Safeway but you can drive it to any other grocery store. What???
:
From Agent ID: 3157
Case ID: 9244829

Dear Mr. _______

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR, my name is V_____ from NETGEAR 2nd level Technical Support. I will be your support engineer.

I regret to say but Network Filing or Scan to Network is not supported. I just got an update from one of our product engineers and they said that ReadyNAS are not really designed for that task. This is the reason why we do not have fixes or future software updates regarding your issue.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

V__________
Message 71 of 142
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Yacht_Rocked wrote:
This is the sad resolution email I got today.

Have you tried contacting HP about this? Regardless of what the ReadyNAS may or may not be doing, the scanner should not be hanging. My guess is that it's a driver issue, but without any kind of diagnostics or error message from the scanner, I can't really say what the problem is.
Message 72 of 142
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

ewok wrote:
Yacht_Rocked wrote:
This is the sad resolution email I got today.

Have you tried contacting HP about this? Regardless of what the ReadyNAS may or may not be doing, the scanner should not be hanging. My guess is that it's a driver issue, but without any kind of diagnostics or error message from the scanner, I can't really say what the problem is.

I didn't because it works fine scanning to a Vista PC and to a new Mac, so my assumption was that it was a ReadyNAS SMB issue and not an HP one. The HP signs on successfully to the Duo share using my username and PW, and starts to write the file. It gets to just over 16K when it locks up. Here's what's in the SMBD.LOG from the Duo:

[2009/05/11 10:39:02, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [jon0] -> [jon0] -> [jon0] succeeded
[2009/05/11 10:39:35, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3118)
[2009/05/11 10:39:35, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3122)
write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 5724 bytes

Given the above, would you still like me to contact HP then? I'm certainly willing to do so. Thanks!
Message 73 of 142
ewok
NETGEAR Expert

Yacht_Rocked wrote:

I didn't because it works fine scanning to a Vista PC and to a new Mac, so my assumption was that it was a ReadyNAS SMB issue and not an HP one.

By the same token, if your Vista PC and Mac can access the ReadyNAS over CIFS without any problems, then my assumption would be that it's an HP problem. 😄

Really though, being that we don't have access to the inner workings of the OfficeJet hardware/firmware/drivers, there may not be much we can do. If HP can at least tell us why the device is just hanging rather than gracefully recovering or showing some kind of error message, then we can look into it. As it is now, it's just a mysterious device that just hangs for some reason.

Yacht_Rocked wrote:

Given the above, would you still like me to contact HP then? I'm certainly willing to do so.

I think that would be a good idea. I found this on the HP support forums with a similar problem (almost exactly the same actually, is that you?):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/mes ... ge.id=2361

No responses though. :roll:
Message 74 of 142
Yacht_Rocked
Aspirant

Hi, Good find on the HP forum. Negative, it's not me who posted on that HP forum. But I'm glad to see others having the problem, in a way, because it confirms that it's not just a one-off issue. I will open a ticket with them. I don't look forward to working up thru all the support tiers, but I'm not seeing any other way to solve the problem. Thank you for clarifying your thoughts and giving me the "why" of why Netgear said they can't support the scan-to-network feature of this printer, or, as you have stated more accurately, you cannot diagnose the printer issue from your side of the problem and it's really an HP issue. Thanks again, and I hope to return with better news.
---
Here's copy of ticket I've opened with HP:
E-mail form

Thank you for contacting HP e-mail support

Thank you for submitting your e-mail to Hewlett-Packard's Customer Care. You should receive a system generated acknowledgement within [[time frame, may vary by region]]. If you do not, please re-submit taking extra care to verify that you are entering a valid and functional e-mail address.

If you have additional feedback or enquiries, please Contact HP

When did you purchase your product? : April2009
Product HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless All-in-One Printer - A909g
Select a problem area: scanning/copying/faxing
What is your serial number (SN): <redacted>
What is your operating system?: Microsoft Windows Vista Business 32
How is your product connected to your PC? Network
If there is an error message, please specify:
Scanning page 1... Saving scan.jpg
Problem Description:
Will not scan to NETGEAR ReadyNAS (model is Duo), Netgear support says it is HP issue. It does scan to Vista PC and Mac fine. It is able to sign onto NAS using share username and password, but locks up after writing about 16-17K of the scan output file. At that point, printer must be rebooted.
Please provide previous troubleshooting steps, or information that can help HP assist you.:
SMB log from ReadyNAS says: [2009/05/11 10:39:02, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(309) check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [jon0] -> [jon0] -> [jon0] succeeded [2009/05/11 10:39:35, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3118) write_andX: (OS 😎 End of header assumed at 64 but was at 59. [2009/05/11 10:39:35, 0] smbd/reply.c:reply_write_and_X(3122) write_andX: SMB headerlength of 59. Fall back to regular write reading 5724 bytes
Other Readynas users are also experiencing this exact issue, see:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7809&p=159944#p159944
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28558
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28120
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/mes ... ge.id=2361
Need HP to look closely at this issue as ReadyNAS devices are growing in popularity quickly and many users are starting to experience this issue.
Has anything changed since the unit functioned properly (installation of SW, settings, cabling, etc.):
The unit has never been able to scan to the ReadyNAS device. Again, it does scan to PC and Mac fine. And of course, the Vista PC and Mac can access the ReadyNAS over CIFS without any problems.
How would you describe your technical skill level?: Advanced
First Name Jon
Last Name <redacted>
Phone Number <redacted>
Email Address <redacted>
Message 75 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements