× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

bigfin
Aspirant

Worked like a charm, many thanks!

Bigfin
Message 126 of 142
gbunk
Aspirant

shaegelin wrote:
I have an OfficeJet Pro L7650. I was also unable to use the OfficeJet digital filing system to save scans to my ReadyNAS NV+ (invalid username / password displays on the OfficeJet LCD).

The OfficeJet has a built in browser server the "Embeded Web Server (EWS)" that you can use to program the printer over a network using IE or Firefox on your own PC. You setup a path for the files to be stored using the EWS, but you will get an invalid username or password error when you start the scan.

The trick is you need to set the username in the OfficeJet embeded web server to be your ReadyNAS share. You set the username up at the same time you set the path and can have up to five paths to store to different directories. For example I set the path in the OfficeJet to be nasipaddress//stuff/scans and I set the username in the OfficeJet to be stuff. I could set up another folder in the same share nasipaddress//stuff/officescans and use the same username (stuff) or set up a new share nasipaddress//wifestuff/scans and pass it the username wifestuff.

I learned this after already installing the add-on that skywalker provided in the previous post, but I think this trick will work without the add-on and I would suggest you try it first and see if it works without the add-on.

Steve

Thanks Steve! This did the trick for our Large Format HP Designjet T2300! I spent over an hour on a chat with HP Tech Support and they were worthless on this issue! Treated me like I was stupid (like "Have you checked access from a Windows PC to the NAS?"). I did NOT install the add-on AND I was able to leave the password field blank. Took longer in HP interface to "verify" the destination (than to verify destination on a Windows PC), but scan & save time seems normal. I may have to share this info with the Tech that came to set this new machine up for us. I know if I were a tech installing these machines frequently I'd want to know this trick!

Thanks!
Garry
Message 127 of 142
jwsandiego
Aspirant

Postby Skywalker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:05 pm
Okay, this addon [Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support] should be more thorough. If any share has write optimization disabled, it will re-enable it. If there are no shares with disabled write optimization, the addon will disable it on the first share found matching any of these names (case-insensitive), in this order:
HP-Documents
PDF_Data
Scan
Scans
Data

>>>> I tried this with my new HP8500 Pro. (I have ReadyNas Duo, rel 4.1.7), configured a share "HP-Documents". but no luck, I still see the same 17KB file showing up and the printer freezes.
is there a way to check whether the add-on is installed properly?
I have also rebooted the ReadyNAS one more time, but no luck.
Thanks for your response.
Message 128 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

You should have got an alert saying whether it was installed successfully, and on which share. Do you see anything in the System -> Logs page?
Message 129 of 142
f_at_lo
Aspirant

Scan from Officejet HP8500A Plus To Network share [SOLVED]

I had the same problem of hanging HP 8500A and a cprippled 17kb file in the destination folder.

But it works now with the "Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support" and Radiator 4.1.8. Thank you so much!!! :worship:

For reference, here is what I did:

(1) ReadyNas NV+, Radiotor 4.1.7, share "Scans", HP8500A with destination to that share and user="Scans": didn't work, HP 8500A hung during save operation, crippled 17kb pdf file was produced
(2) update ReadyNas to Radiator 4.1.8
(3) installed Add-on "Toggle_OfficeJet_Scan_Support" from Skywalker
(4) restarted ReadyNAS
(5) waited for message "installing Add-on" to dissappear on the LCD
(6) opened Frontview via Radar
(7) saw the message "Successfully disabled write optimization for scans share."
(8) did a test scan on the HP8500A
(9) rejoiced! :thumbsup:

(FYI: initially, the HP 8500 A was not only able to write the scanned file to my Vista PC but also to a Synology 710 Diskstation which I use as an intranet web server)
Message 130 of 142
kcgr1
Aspirant

I just bought an 8600 plus. It scanned to the NV+ once, then refused to do so afterwards. It would also keep leaving the 17kb crippled file.

I should have come here before talking to HP as it would have saved me so much time from dealing with those techs :hammer:

1- I renamed my 'download' share to 'data'
2- installed the add-on.
3- Rebooted
4- scanned successfully!!!! :woot:

thanks so much!!!! you guys rock. Thanks for supporting these sparcs.
:worship:
Message 131 of 142
scwade
Aspirant

shaegelin wrote:
I have an OfficeJet Pro L7650. I was also unable to use the OfficeJet digital filing system to save scans to my ReadyNAS NV+ (invalid username / password displays on the OfficeJet LCD).

The trick is you need to set the username in the OfficeJet embeded web server to be your ReadyNAS share. You set the username up at the same time you set the path and can have up to five paths to store to different directories. For example I set the path in the OfficeJet to be nasipaddress//stuff/scans and I set the username in the OfficeJet to be stuff. I could set up another folder in the same share nasipaddress//stuff/officescans and use the same username (stuff) or set up a new share nasipaddress//wifestuff/scans and pass it the username wifestuff.

I learned this after already installing the add-on that skywalker provided in the previous post, but I think this trick will work without the add-on and I would suggest you try it first and see if it works without the add-on.

Steve

FYI - I Tried your idea -- it didn't pan out (seems the namespace for users and shares cannot be the same):
1) I upgraded the RAIDiator to 4.1.8.
2) Added a share "Scans" and tried to add a user names "scans" - ERROR - ~"user 'scans' already exists.
3) added user name "scan" and tried to add a share "scan" - ERROR ~ "Invalid Name"

Using the described "toggle-officejet..." service did fix the issue for me. Nothing else tried on this thread worked.

s
Message 132 of 142
kenalker
Aspirant

I just used "Scan to a Network Folder" successfully for the first time in several years. I recently upgraded my NV+ to 4.1.9. I also upgraded my HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909g firmware from DLM1FN0924AR to DLM1FN1006BR. I don't believe I have installed the addon (although it is possible, and I've since forgotten).

Skywalker: 1) Is there a way for me to tell if I've installed this patch, and, more importantly, 2) is is possible that 4.1.9 (or a previous version) fixed this problem (the release notes do not indicate that it did).
Message 133 of 142
gbunk
Aspirant

I've never needed the add-on. I don't see why it's needed. The trick listed above (sharename for username) works for a NAS in "Share" mode (my original NV). I recently switched to "User" mode (due to upgrading to a Pro4) and just changed the scanner's username to "admin" and used the admin password.

-Garry
Message 134 of 142
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

4.1.9 actually should have eliminated the need to use the addon, although I don't have the equipment required to verify that. The x86 models should never have needed it.
Message 135 of 142
PeteGunnell
Aspirant

I hate to raise this topic (perhaps I should be in a different one?) but I've tried the suggestions about usernames, passwords, and the 'embedded web server' (ews) but I get a message on the panel of my HP Officejet Pro 276dw "general error" and on the ews screen on my MacPro "system failure". I have spent two to three days solidly trying to work through this and can get no further. There's noo useful contribution on HP sites, this is the most useful topic I've found on Netgear sites. 

I dont know where to go from here. I'm wondering if a work round might do the trick for me: As I could leave my Mac on, scans sent by email to my printer could be scanned to a folder on the Mac. This folder could be monitored by my NAS 314 which could 'sync' the files into a public folder (or a folder with named users having access).

Would that somewhat inelegant suggestion work as a solution? Is there a more elegant solution which might enable me to scan directly to a folder on NAS?

Thanks in anticipation, and my apologies if this repeats old ground covered elsewhere but my old brain wont gather much more!

Message 136 of 142
PeteGunnell
Aspirant

Oh dear! Ive just tried to scan to a folder on my network with just the same results....not good!

Message 137 of 142
StephenB
Guru

@PeteGunnell wrote:

Oh dear! Ive just tried to scan to a folder on my network with just the same results....not good!

Did this ever work?

If so, did you try the procedure here: http://whp-aus2.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL51834/ij-148967-1/HP_OfficeJet_Pro_276D...

Message 138 of 142
PeteGunnell
Aspirant

No, being a simple organism I just followed instructions to install and update when told!

So, it never worked, but I did follow that procedure (more than once!), including making sure that shared folders were on.

Message 139 of 142
StephenB
Guru

@PeteGunnell wrote:

No, being a simple organism I just followed instructions to install and update when told!

So, it never worked, but I did follow that procedure (more than once!), including making sure that shared folders were on.

Ok.  I guess if you can't scan to a mac folder either you'll need another approach.

Maybe scan to email, and see if you can automate storage to a share from a mail client???

Message 140 of 142
PeteGunnell
Aspirant

Yes, thats worth bearing in mind. I might try going back to ground zero and do a factory reset on the printer. I'm just astonished at how bad this HP process is - I didnt used to get this problem before, on my old HP printer, I could scan to folder quite happily. I know HP have changed their software approach so I presume its something in there. Trying to get meaningful support from them is difficult and made more so by the recent splitting of their sections, personal and home. 

Message 141 of 142
PeteGunnell
Aspirant

Went back to ground zero via factory reset. All now seems to be working ok except for scan to network folder. At least that might enable me to sync the "scan to computer" folder to a network folder, and get round the problem that way.

Message 142 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements