× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

Tank1
Aspirant

Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

Hi i am struggling with trying to get a Hp OfficeJet 9130 to scan direct to my Infrant ReadyNAS NV.

I have created a share, given it a password. I can connect to it using a xp box no problem.

In the HP setup you can create a share. i have put the folowing in
Share Name DocStore
Folder Path \\192.168.204.50\DocStore
Username: I have tried all i can think off ie.
192.168.204.50\Guest
Blank

When i try to scan i get a error Sharename is incorrect

I can scan no problem to my xp box.

Any thoughts ?
Message 1 of 142
Qui_Gon_Jinn
Aspirant

Re: Using a Scan To Network share (OfficeJet 9130)

Looks like your NAS was set to share security mode? What if you map your share as windows network drive, then try to use your HP Officejet over this network drive.
Message 2 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Tank,

Another fool who chose to buy a HP OfficeJet 9130 😉 😛

Assuming your ReadyNAS is configured to run in "Share" mode, have you tried setting the username to be the share name and the password is the password you gave that share.

If you still have issues post back and I can recheck my 9130 for you.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 3 of 142
Tank1
Aspirant

I am using the NAS in share mode. I have tried setting the username to be the sharename and it still does not work.

Its odd, the 9130 works fine to a xp share but simply says sharename incorrect.

I was hoping not to connect via the pc and i wanted it to become a stand alone doc store

If you could try it on your 9130 that would be great

John
Message 4 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

Some folks having problems with printers over CIFS have had good luck going through Bonjour for IPP Printing. See http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/F ... to_work.3F
Message 5 of 142
Tank1
Aspirant

Just tried that and the printer says network connection error when i try to scan to the NAS.

John
Message 6 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

Tank wrote:
Just tried that and the printer says network connection error when i try to scan to the NAS.

John

I'm sorry -- I thought you're having printing problems. It appears that you're trying to do scanning. Unfortunately that won't work with the ReadyNAS -- only printing is supported.
Message 7 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi John,

I just confirmed the issue you are having. I can connect to my Windows XP shares and drop files OK but when I try to attach to the ReadyNAS (mine is in user mode) no matter what user I try I get a username/password error.

Yoh-dah: The HP OfficeJet 9130 is an ethernet based multifunction device that is capable of directly loging into Windows type shares and scanning documents to those shares. The unit does not need to create a scan in response to a windows based application (TWAIN). The unit has a keyboard and LCD display so that you han type in the name of any share on your network and then authenticate with any username or password you like. This is a very flexible system. 🙂 (Shame that the firmware is so flakey with regard to its faxing capability).

I had a quick look at my ReadyNAS logs and did not notice any explanation for the problem. I am not sure what I should have been looking for so I may have been looking right at the problem but never noticed it. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 8 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

IanSav wrote:
Yoh-dah: The HP OfficeJet 9130 is an ethernet based multifunction device that is capable of directly loging into Windows type shares and scanning documents to those shares. The unit does not need to create a scan in response to a windows based application (TWAIN). The unit has a keyboard and LCD display so that you han type in the name of any share on your network and then authenticate with any username or password you like. This is a very flexible system. 🙂 (Shame that the firmware is so flakey with regard to its faxing capability).

Gotcha -- I thought it was acting as a TWAIN device...
Message 9 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Yoh-dah,

Do you have any suggestions on what we should do to try and get this issue resolved?

While I didn't notice this function was not working because I normally scan directly to PCs on my network I would like to think that I can scan to the ReadyNAS if I need to. It looks like John already wants to use this feature. I am happy to assist in getting this problem resolved if there is anything you would like me to do.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 10 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

Ian, I doubt if I can get an approval to buy this printer for testing as it's in the extra expensive class, but is there anyway that HP support might be able to help in getting this working with a Samba server?
Message 11 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Yoh-dah,
yoh-dah wrote:
Ian, I doubt if I can get an approval to buy this printer for testing as it's in the extra expensive class, but is there anyway that HP support might be able to help in getting this working with a Samba server?

In Australia, HP have pretty much given up on getting issues with this multifunction looked at. Perhaps John may get more co-operation from his local HP office.

Is there any specific place in the logs I can look to see if there is an error code that we can investigate?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 12 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

IanSav wrote:
Hi Yoh-dah,
yoh-dah wrote:

In Australia, HP have pretty much given up on getting issues with this multifunction looked at. Perhaps John may get more co-operation from his local HP office.

Is there any specific place in the logs I can look to see if there is an error code that we can investigate?

Regards,
Ian.

I would think HP is probably using smbclient or some variant of a client for SMB/CIFS to write back to our Samba server, so smbd.log is one place you can take a look. Just my guess based on your prior message.
Message 13 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Yoh-dah,
yoh-dah wrote:
I would think HP is probably using smbclient or some variant of a client for SMB/CIFS to write back to our Samba server, so smbd.log is one place you can take a look. Just my guess based on your prior message.

These entries are from the smdb.log files at the time I attempted a scan...

[2006/12/14 01:27:20, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [admin] -> [admin] -> [admin] succeeded
[2006/12/14 01:28:11, 2] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(307)
check_ntlm_password: authentication for user [admin] -> [admin] -> [admin] succeeded

The printer still announced that there was a username or password error. Is there anything else I can try to assist in tracking this down?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 14 of 142
Tank1
Aspirant

I have spoken with HP in the uk and after spending a hour on the phone they gave up when they found my unit would talk to a xp share, just said it must be a fault with the NAS !! typical buck passing

John
Message 15 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Yoh-dah,

Is there anything John or I can do to help you guys solve this problem?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 16 of 142
yoh-dah
Guide

IanSav wrote:
Yoh-dah,

Is there anything John or I can do to help you guys solve this problem?

Regards,
Ian.

Unless John is local and can drop off the printer for a couple days, my advise is to post it in the Feature Requests and if there's enough folks requesting it, then we can prioritize it.
Message 17 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Yoh-dah,

I think John is in the UK. Perhaps a local HP rep can arrange a loan for you guys.

While having this network scanner work would be great I don't think it deserves a high priority. I would rather see my other wishlist items fullfilled first. 😉 John may have other needs so I will leave it to him to make the request if he so chooses.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 18 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

I see the last post on this topic was 6 months ago. Not a good sign...

I've been trying to do the same thing from an OfficeJet 9120 and have a similar problem. The printer says that the username or password is incorrect (even though they are correct) but the smbd.log shows that the authentication succeeded. It seems like there is something else the printer is trying to do that is not supported by samba.

Is there any way to turn on more logging from smbd? I'd be happy to provide more information to help track down the cause of the problem.

Supporting scanning to a share would be a very useful feature, particularly in environments where there are no windows machines (like ours).
Message 19 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Jarrah,

I have still not found a solution for this issue, even though I have recently installed updated firmware for my OfficeJet 9130. I am curious to see what will happen with the newer SAMBA version in RAIDiator 4.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 20 of 142
purplex
Aspirant

RAIDiator 4?

Damn, what do you know that we don't?
:roll:
Message 21 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

IanSav wrote:
Hi Jarrah,

I have still not found a solution for this issue, even though I have recently installed updated firmware for my OfficeJet 9130. I am curious to see what will happen with the newer SAMBA version in RAIDiator 4.

Regards,
Ian.

Hi Ian,

It looks like an incompatibility between the authentication protocol used by Samba 3.0.22 and the SMB implementation used by the printer. The authentication is actually succeeding, but then Samba is failing when it tries to lookup the user information. Samba returns NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED which the printer assumes is an incorrect username or password.

I'm going to try building a later version of Samba with more debugging enabled to see if the problem has been fixed (I don't hold much hope that it is), or so I can at least find a work around for the problem.

Note that this has nothing really to do with the ReadyNAS, other than they're using the Samba software. If I can get it fixed in a later version of Samba, then it should be automatically picked up in a later firmware release.

Regards,
Greg
Message 22 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Greg,

If you are able to verify the error and subsequently fix it with your SAMBA tests then please let us all know. Perhaps the fix may be compatible with Infrant's needs and can thus be implemented for all of us. The alternative could be that you can tell HP what they are doing wrong and then they can fix their firmware, again we all benefit.

Thanks for investigating this.

Regards,
Ian.
Message 23 of 142
jarrah
Aspirant

Update: I've tried this with the latest version of Samba (3.0.25a) with the same result. I think this indicates that the next ReadyNAS firmware update is not going to fix the problem.

Greg
Message 24 of 142
IanSav
Apprentice

Hi Greg,
jarrah wrote:
Update: I've tried this with the latest version of Samba (3.0.25a) with the same result. I think this indicates that the next ReadyNAS firmware update is not going to fix the problem.Greg

Bugga! 😛

Did the logs show anything interesting?

Regards,
Ian.
Message 25 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements