× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume useage exceeds 80% of size. When should I add another disk? RN104

dbrgzd
Aspirant

Volume useage exceeds 80% of size. When should I add another disk? RN104

I have 2x4TB in my RN104 with X-Raid (which means Raid-1 currently)

If I understand X-Raid right adding a third disk will convert the whole thing into Raid 5 and I get more space while it protects from losing a single disk. (And later when this gets full adding 4th disk will just increase the capacity)

I got the message that it's 80% full right now and planning to add the third disk. Is this process safe? Are there any dangers of losing my data while adding the third disk? I am having firmware version 6.2.5.

Can I just hot plug the third disk? (same WD Red as the other 2)

Thanks in advance for the answer. I'm sure this is something that should be clear after reading the manual but I feel safer asking before doing anything.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Volume useage exceeds 80% of size. When should I add another disk? RN104

@dbrgzd wrote:

If I understand X-Raid right adding a third disk will convert the whole thing into Raid 5 and I get more space while it protects from losing a single disk. (And later when this gets full adding 4th disk will just increase the capacity)

Yes

@dbrgzd wrote:

I got the message that it's 80% full right now and planning to add the third disk. Is this process safe? Are there any dangers of losing my data while adding the third disk?

If one of the two disks already in the NAS fails during the resync you'd enter a data recovery attempt situation. So it's advisable to update your regular backup before adding a disk to expand your volume. You should backup your data regularly anyway.

@dbrgzd wrote:

I am having firmware version 6.2.5.

At some point you should update the firmware using this workaround. 6.2.5 is extremely old firmware. I would suggest you update your regular backup before updating the firmware.

@dbrgzd wrote:

Yes. You don't have to use the same disk model (though there are benefits to using the same model), but it does need to have at least as much capacity as the existing disks.

@dbrgzd wrote:

I feel safer asking before doing anything.

Always much better to ask questions than to wish you had later.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@dbrgzd wrote:

Yes

@dbrgzd wrote:

I got the message that it's 80% full right now and planning to add the third disk. Is this process safe? Are there any dangers of losing my data while adding the third disk?

If one of the two disks already in the NAS fails during the resync you'd enter a data recovery attempt situation. So it's advisable to update your regular backup before adding a disk to expand your volume. You should backup your data regularly anyway.

@dbrgzd wrote:

I am having firmware version 6.2.5.

At some point you should update the firmware using this workaround. 6.2.5 is extremely old firmware. I would suggest you update your regular backup before updating the firmware.

@dbrgzd wrote:

Yes. You don't have to use the same disk model (though there are benefits to using the same model), but it does need to have at least as much capacity as the existing disks.

@dbrgzd wrote:

I feel safer asking before doing anything.

Always much better to ask questions than to wish you had later.

Message 2 of 5
dbrgzd
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed answer.

How long can I wait to add the third disk? Is 80% already critical? 20% of 4TB is still a lot of space.

The reason I did not update is that I am afraid of risking the current stable state of the NAS. Considering I have a so old firmware I'm guessing that updating from where could cause problems either in the system or the data on the disks.

I might try that workaround if it is recommended to update. Of course after backing up to an external drive.

Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd think 80% - should start to think about freeing up space or expanding the volume
85% - should really make the decision now

90% - should have already made the decision

This is my personal opinion. You can obviously fill it a little more than 85% if you want but things like performance will suffer and volume maintenance may not work well.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

I'd think 80% - should start to think about freeing up space or expanding the volume
85% - should really make the decision now

90% - should have already made the decision

This is my personal opinion. You can obviously fill it a little more than 85% if you want but things like performance will suffer and volume maintenance may not work well.

I agree that you should be making the decision when fullness is in the 80-85% range.  To some degree it depends on the growth rate.  I think the risk is less if you have snapshots disabled.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements