× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which Raid level to use in an RN426 with 6x6TB?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Which Raid level to use in an RN426 with 6x6TB?

Please give me your opinion and let me know what you think.

Currently I'm looking at three options: RAID5, RAID50 or RAID6 and will probably go for RAID6. Though RAID5 and RAID50 would give more capacity (the former) or better read and write performance (the latter), I would like to be protected in a situation, where one drive already failed and the system is going through the rebuild of the array.

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If you have a sound backup plan, then this is really a data availability question, its not about data safety.  If losing the volume for a couple of days is merely an inconvenience, then RAID-5 is a good option.  If you have a business that depends on the data availability, then you need more redundancy - RAID-6 or RAID-10, RAID-50, or RAID-60.

Personally I think RAID-50 comes into it's own with a larger array (12 disks).  If you are running on a gigabit network I don't think you'll see much performance benefit over RAID6.  So I'd rule out RAID50.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you have a sound backup plan, then this is really a data availability question, its not about data safety.  If losing the volume for a couple of days is merely an inconvenience, then RAID-5 is a good option.  If you have a business that depends on the data availability, then you need more redundancy - RAID-6 or RAID-10, RAID-50, or RAID-60.

Personally I think RAID-50 comes into it's own with a larger array (12 disks).  If you are running on a gigabit network I don't think you'll see much performance benefit over RAID6.  So I'd rule out RAID50.

Message 2 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your vote @StephenB. Anybody out there, who would prefer RAID5 or RAID50 over RAID6 in this situation and would like to share the thoughts? Looking forward to your input. Thanks a lot.

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Raid6 it is now and it is good. Thanks for your input @StephenB.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements