× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 Enterprise: still no longer able to access NAS shares despite firmware v6.9.3 (followup)

chopin70
Virtuoso

Windows 10 Enterprise: still no longer able to access NAS shares despite firmware v6.9.3 (followup)

Hi,

This is a followup to below thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Windows-10-Install-no-longer-able-to-access-NAS...

Resume:

- Windows 10 Entreprise disabled SMB access to shares requesting/proposing the guest credentials. It won't even prompt for a user/pass account

- ReadyNAS change log: OS 6.9.2 will fix this from the developers statements by disabling guest access

- Until now, we were obliged to add in windows 10 the NAS credentials under which we need to access the SMB shares

Current state using 6.9.3 firmware:

- I tried to remove the corresponding windows credentail in the NAS: conenction is broken. I still need to add in windows 10 enterprise the NAS account to access the shares.

It is behaving like if the NAS is still proposing guest access to windows 10

Bug report:

This issue that was reported is still not fixed under 6.9.3. Any technical explanation and why we still need to manually add a windows account to access a NAS share ?

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X Premium performance Business Data Storage
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Windows 10 Enterprise: still no longer able to access NAS shares despite firmware v6.9.3 (follow

@chopin70 wrote:

So, there is no simple solution to access different shares, using different NAS accounts from within windows anymore ?

Never has been, and it's a Windows restriction.  If you thought you were doing that, you must have actually been logging in as a guest.  You can use the NAS name and IP address separately with different accounts, because Windows doesn't keep track of them being the same device.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Windows 10 Enterprise: still no longer able to access NAS shares despite firmware v6.9.3 (follow

@chopin70 wrote:

Any technical explanation and why we still need to manually add a windows account to access a NAS share ?

Microsoft is changing the Windows policies on guest access to network shares.

For instance, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10...

Message 2 of 9
chopin70
Virtuoso

I am aware of that. However, start from v6.8.2, Netgear was supposed to no longer default/drop to guest access, which is not the case as of 6.8.3

I don't want to allow insecure guest access in windows 10 and I don't want to create a dedicated user in Windows 10!

It should just offer the network login prompt as I understand. Or I am getting it wrong ?
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@chopin70 wrote:
I am aware of that. However, start from v6.8.2, Netgear was supposed to no longer default/drop to guest access, which is not the case as of 6.8.3

Do you mean 6.9.3?

@chopin70 wrote:
It should just offer the network login prompt as I understand. Or I am getting it wrong ?

That depends on what you think the "It" is.  As far as I can tell, the "It" has to be the windows PC. The ReadyNAS can't force Windows to prompt for the user/password.  And not all versions of Windows behave the same way.

Message 4 of 9
chopin70
Virtuoso

Sorry for the delay

Yes, my mistake, I mean 6.9.3.

The change log in firmware and the reports from Netgear Techs said that the ReadyNAS will fix it by disabling guest access for smb shares. The article clearly states that windows disabled guest access. The change in firmware was supposed to fix this issue.

Still, we need to add a special credential in either windows or NAS to access the NAS. This means any user connected to windows will have access to the credentials entered and that only one user credential is possible !

How can we access the NAS from a windows machine under different credentials and without saving password ? This by far a basic feature.

Example: I want a windows user to access NAS using SMB account "user1" and another accessing it using "user2" SMB account. Both users should be able to not save password. Is it possible and can Netgear fix it on their side as they said in change log ?

Message 5 of 9
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Example: I want a windows user to access NAS using SMB account "user1" and another accessing it using "user2" SMB account. Both users should be able to not save password. Is it possible and can Netgear fix it on their side as they said in change log ?

This is Windows behavior, it is not NAS behavior,

if you don't want to save password, you should run command "net use * /d" or logout/login in Windows.

Message 6 of 9
chopin70
Virtuoso

So, there is no simple solution to access different shares, using different NAS accounts from within windows anymore ?

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@chopin70 wrote:

Never has been, and it's a Windows restriction.  If you thought you were doing that, you must have actually been logging in as a guest.  You can use the NAS name and IP address separately with different accounts, because Windows doesn't keep track of them being the same device.

Message 8 of 9
chopin70
Virtuoso

Thank you

On windows 7, there was the prompt at first access where we could set the user/pass to smb share

On windows 10, I see that adding manually credentials in Credential Manager is manadatory

My fears were that the access rights were shared across logged in users. I just tested and it is not the case. Credential Manager is per user based.

Many thanks. Wired that windows 10 forced things this way, breaking any by default access without hinting to credential manager

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements