× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pre-Release of Windows 10 and ReadyNAS.

BaJohn
Virtuoso

Pre-Release of Windows 10 and ReadyNAS.

Has anybody setup a system with a pre-release Windows 10 and networked a ReadyNAS?
I am interested as I intend to upgrade soon (not certain if I will do it on day 1 - 29/07/15), and wondered what impact this might have.
I currently use Win 7 for my main machine, with Vista, MAc's iphones etc.
There are small 'niggles' with the current Win 7 - NAS relationship, such as Credentials Management, Windows Explorer (See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=81416) etc.
I am hoping that things will go more smoothly for the relationship, or will there be some RNOS problems that have not been foreseen!

Has Netgear actually tested the use of ReadNAS in a Windows 10 (or it X) environment?
Comments please and if you are using WX already, you are especially welcome.

Message 1 of 49

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Windows 10 and ReadyNAS.

We are using the latest samba series 4.2 in our ReadyNAS OS 6.2.x firmware.

Beta software inherently may have bugs and some changes before release. Also a major upgrade like Windows 10 is likely to have added new SMB features which may take some time to be supported by samba if at all.

One would think it should work similarly well to how the ReadyNAS works with existing versions of Windows e.g. Windows 7 but it is possible there may be some issues for early adopters.

I would advise business users not to upgrade immediately. Some software e.g. 3rd party software will require updates to support Windows 10. Where possible test Windows 10 first on a non-production machine to hopefully avoid issues leading to serious downtime.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 49

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are using the latest samba series 4.2 in our ReadyNAS OS 6.2.x firmware.

Beta software inherently may have bugs and some changes before release. Also a major upgrade like Windows 10 is likely to have added new SMB features which may take some time to be supported by samba if at all.

One would think it should work similarly well to how the ReadyNAS works with existing versions of Windows e.g. Windows 7 but it is possible there may be some issues for early adopters.

I would advise business users not to upgrade immediately. Some software e.g. 3rd party software will require updates to support Windows 10. Where possible test Windows 10 first on a non-production machine to hopefully avoid issues leading to serious downtime.
Message 2 of 49
BuckoA51
Aspirant

I have severe problems running Windows 10 on my Dell Venue Pro 7140 doing file copies to/from ReadyNAS NV+. Basically copies get about 2-3% then stall. Looks like Vista all over again 😞
Message 3 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which NV+ is this? If it is the v1 that has been EOL for a number of years now.

You might need to see if some registry changes help.
Message 4 of 49
BuckoA51
Aspirant

V1 I believe... it got a firmware update last year though so I guess it can't be EOL? EOL or not I don't have the budget to change it. Luckily the old Vista trick of changing MTU seems to have sorted it, fingers crossed anyway, so would advise anyone to try that first.
Message 5 of 49
StephenB
Guru

-What firmware are you running?

-MTU is a characteristic of your network. So if your network needs a lower MTU than 1500, you should set all your kit to the needed value. However, 1500 should work - if it doesn't, then perhaps it is time to upgrade something.

Do you know how to probe the MTU? What value are you using?
Message 6 of 49
BuckoA51
Aspirant

Still having problems even with the new MTU, intermittent problems suck...right now I don't know if it's Windows 10 or the ReadyNAS though. My firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
Message 7 of 49
StephenB
Guru

BuckoA51 wrote:
Still having problems even with the new MTU, intermittent problems suck...right now I don't know if it's Windows 10 or the ReadyNAS though. My firmware is RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]
If it is Windows 10, then Netgear will be in big trouble on July 29.
Message 8 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

... still waiting ...

Zero day was yesterday 29th, so 1 day and a bit later still no sign of Win 10.

I have a copy 'reserved' somewhere, but it ain't arrived yet.

I thought it had downlaoded, but ca't find it, so perhaps it is sitting on my PC and roaring to go (and install).

Oh well don't suppose it will be much longer.:)

Message 9 of 49
StephenB
Guru

@BaJohn wrote:

... still waiting ...

I thought it had downlaoded, but ca't find it, so perhaps it is sitting on my PC and roaring to go (and install).

One of my upgrades came through today.  I am not seeing any issues with any of the ReadyNAS.  Mapped drives to my pro-6 were preserved, SMB access to the NV+, duo, RN102 and RN202 works as expected.

Note I am using local accounts, and don't use ReadyCloud (I'm an openvpn guy...)

Message 10 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

@StephenB wrote:

@BaJohn wrote:

... still waiting ...

One of my upgrades came through today.  I am not seeing any issues with any of the ReadyNAS.  Mapped drives to my pro-6 were preserved, SMB access to the NV+, duo, RN102 and RN202 works as expected.

Note I am using local accounts, and don't use ReadyCloud (I'm an openvpn guy...)

.... Saturday 01/08/15 11:52 UK time ...... still waiting ...

I do have the little 4 white squares in my tray though.

Clicking that basically tells me it's happening and WAIT.

urghSmiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 49
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote

.... Saturday 01/08/15 11:52 UK time ...... still waiting ...

I do have the little 4 white squares in my tray though.

Clicking that basically tells me it's happening and WAIT.

urghSmiley Frustrated

Patience is a virtue...Smiley LOL

I'm still waiting on two laptops myself btw.

Message 12 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Ok Ok ... I am tooo impatient, especially when I read that it could be days or weeks .... WEEeeekkkss!

So I went for it yesterday and used the media creation tool to download and install Win 10.

It failed first time as it could NOT update the "System reserved partition", BUT I fixed that after the initial WTF.

Okay, so now I am using Win 10 and it works with the ReadyNAS, in that my RoboCopy backups work ....

... AND I have just checked and the "Previous Versions" in properties does work.

(From memory, I believe someone suggested that it did not, or may not)

Not really using any Apps in the NAS, so cannot comment on those.

Good luck to others upgrading, and if at first it does not succeed try etc

Message 13 of 49
ksalno
Aspirant

I've upgraded 1 PC to Win10 and have 2 RN on my network, an Ultra 6+ running fw 4.2.27 and a 316 running fw 6.2.4. I can map shares to logical drives, I can ping them, I can play music and video from them, etc but they do not show up under the network tab in Windows Explorer. That means I can no longer drag and drop files between my PC and the NAS via Explorer. Both RN show up as media and storage devices when I look at the whole network but they no longer show up as a computer, like they did with Win7. Is there a way to correct this?

Message 14 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Mine is Win 10 Pro connected to a RN 516 (similar to 316) and my NAS does show in the Network,

so we know it is possible, unless it works in Pro and not in home:)

It was set up on the previous Win 7 and no fiddling in Win 10 required.

I believe I used the credentials manager to do it, if that is of help.

Message 15 of 49
ksalno
Aspirant

Thanks, my nephew has Windows 10 Home and all of his NAS (Netgear, Thecus) show up as computers under Network too. He said he didn't have to do anything. I tried adding credentials but it didn't make any difference.

Message 16 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

.... almost forgot, although this may not be relevant, my NAS is setup with a fixed IP address

supplied by the router and the PC uses the 'hosts' file. It shows in the network as a computer

with the name I allocated in that hosts file. The RNOS is 6.2.4 same as yours.

Message 17 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

Try deleting the items from the credentials manager, rebooting both PC and NAS and hopefully be prompted for the credentials afresh.

Failing that check what permissions the shares are set to on the NAS.

Good luck.

Message 18 of 49
JEHendon
Aspirant

I can see my ReadyNAS RN31442E, but can't write to it. No problems with ReadyNAS NV+.

I recall I could at one time, but no longer. I suspect windows credentials.

Often get news one added and then can't see the NAS. Very frustrating.

Message 19 of 49
StephenB
Guru

It's easy enough to delete the windows credentials for the NAS and then create new ones.

I haven't seen mine disappear or change after I created them.  

Message 20 of 49
ksalno
Aspirant

Thanks, for all the suggestions. I played around with a lot of different things, thinking maybe it had something to do with SMB version difference between Win 7 and Win 10 but I finally stumbled across the answer tonight. It turns out that the workgroup on my Win 10 PC was set to the default name "WORKGROUP" whereas all the rest of the devices on my network had a workgroup named with my surname. I changed the workgroup name to my surname, restarted and presto, not only my NAS but my MACs all showed up as computers on the Network tab in Explorer, just like they did with Win 7.

What I will never know is if the Win 10 install set this default workgroup name or if it had always been that way but worked under Win 7 and not Win 10. In any case, problem solved and posting the solution in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Message 21 of 49
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, with Windows 10 having the same workgroup name for all devices is strongly recommended.

Message 22 of 49
BaJohn
Virtuoso

For what it is worth, my upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro

DID NOT change the workgroup name,

unless the default setup on Win 10 is FAMILY.

Message 23 of 49
JEHendon
Aspirant

It is not the NAS credentials that causes the problems. It is the ones added by MS via some type of apps I think.  Deleting those can help until they are installed again.

Interesting that my Quicken software does not have a problem. It is only File Explorer and/or Powerdesk that can see the NAS, but not have permission to write to it at times. 

Message 24 of 49
JEHendon
Aspirant

That may be the case if Win 10 reset them. Prior to that I am pretty sure I had been down that road. I will check that. Thanks.

Message 25 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements