× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XRAID not available

dan_webb
Aspirant

XRAID not available

I've just received my second ReadyNAS (a 4200). The default installation with 6x 2TB disks was RAID-6, I though this was a little strange so I went ahead and deleted the volume to see if I could recreate it with XRAID-2 (possibly with dual redundancy/hotswap), but with no luck. The only options I received were the standard RAID (0,1,5,6,10).

I'm using the latest available firmware via auto-update which is did this morning (4.1.17).
Message 1 of 4
yoh-dah
Guide

Re: XRAID not available

The default RAID for new 4200 is now Flex-RAID -- if you want to change it to X-RAID2, you'll have to factory default and change that through RAIDar during the 1st 10 minutes.
Message 2 of 4
dan_webb
Aspirant

ah right I see. Shouldn't the raid option shown up as flex-raid rather than raid-6 on the dashboard if that were the situation?

edit: I'm quite happy to use flex-raid as I can expand the volume at a later date (one of the big selling points of the rn4200 over other models), however when formatting the volume I still don't even see flex-raid.
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A Flex-RAID volume will show up as RAID-1, RAID-5, RAID-6 etc. on the dashboard widget If using X-RAID2 it'll show up as RAID Level X2 on the dashboard widget. You need to use the client app after a factory reset to choose RAID modes, not the dashboard widget.

As thee current expansion limitation where you cannot expand past 16TB and have to do a factory reset could be an issue for 4200 users, it's best to use Flex-RAID.

You can still expand volumes, but when you hit the expansion limit, if your using Flex-RAID you can create an additional volume.

If you want to use X-RAID2 you would
1. Backup all data
2. Do a factory reset (e.g. via System > Update > Factory Default)
3. Discover the NAS using RAIDar (http://www.readynas.com/downloads)
4. Once the 10 minute countdown has commenced you should be prompted to "Click Setup". Click Setup and you can choose and confirm what RAID mode to use.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements