× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Zero byte files after NAS failure.

nbhatt_14
Aspirant

Zero byte files after NAS failure.

Hi. 

Newbie here...!

I've recently upgraded my Readynas from the DuoV1 to the RN202.

Unfortunately my Duo failed (turned on, but fan made loud noise and the power button blinked every few seconds - seems like it was due to a full OS patition because of the logs). Having read through most of the forums I managed to find help and using the Linux reader, I managed to rescue about 95% of the data. But I noticed that some files that were showing in the Linux reader were showing up as Zero Bytes, even though I knew they were not.

I was not sure if the failure was due to the memory getting corrupt as when I brought the Duo many years ago, I upgraded the memory to 1Gb and thought maybe if I downgrade it, it may power up?

The ReadyNAS Duo V1 was running:

1GB memory

Firmware 4.1.14

Two Seagate drives (identical approved on the HCL  - 2Gb)

I just need advice on whether this is a common problem and is it still possible to rescue those files? I had tried to do a software reset, but the box did not respond and it did not respond to a factory reset either.

Message 1 of 6
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello nbhatt,

Welcome to the community!

If you have been using 2 disks with your Duov1 in XRAID, you can try powering it up with one of the disks and see if that will allow you to get access to the data, in that way you will know if the file is really 0 bytes or not. If you are able to read the data, make sure to back it up asap. You cannot use the disks from the old Duo on an OS6 unit.

If you want to see if there is a chance to revive your Duo, maybe you can try contacting support. That must be out of hardware warranty, but they can still perform hardware warranty for free, you also get an option of availing per incident support contract and data recovery service that both have fees.

Regards,

Message 2 of 6
nbhatt_14
Aspirant

Hi JennC!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried previously to start the Duo with both disks, then disk 1 alone and then disk 2 alone, but the Duo was continually doing what it has been.

Really frustrated! So not sure what else I should try... 

Message 3 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nbhatt_14,

As JennC previously wrote,

"If you want to see if there is a chance to revive your Duo, maybe you can try contacting support. That must be out of hardware warranty, but they can still perform hardware warranty for free, you also get an option of availing per incident support contract and data recovery service that both have fees." 

I guess  this is your best bet in getting those files back. Unfortunately, NETGEAR support won't guarantee that the procedure will be a success.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
nbhatt_14
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

Would you believe I managed to get the Duo back online!

I changed the memory chip I put in and surprisingly it powered up first time, no issue (so far). I was running a 1Gb SoDimm and just purchased a 512Mb chip and installed it  (Corsair). Worked a treat.

Its as it was when I last powered the system down and the zero byte files are available for me to access!

Might be a useful tip for others that get similar problems. Certainly cheaper!

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 1GB of 3rd party memory may have been incompatible or may have come loose (e.g. if you moved the unit) or failed. Even if 3rd party memory passes the memory test boot menu option (you should run this at least twice) it may still be incompatible.

Please note that 3rd party memory upgrades are not supported.

You can now mark the post that answered your problem (probably one of your own in this case) as the solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements