× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

built in Users Group getting special permissions added to files and folders created under Parent.

aka_BoB
Aspirant

built in Users Group getting special permissions added to files and folders created under Parent.

File Share Access Permissions issue, on 6.9.3.  I follwed these instructions from KB article https://kb.netgear.com/26051/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-sub-folder-permissions-in-user-security-mode  and setup a share TestShare with a Public and Private folder.  Instead of groups I based my access on two users.  1st one  ch.iba  has modify writes to the Public and Private folder.   The 2nd user casthouse has read only on both.  The casthouse user cannot create folders or files under the Private folder, but can delete files / folders created by ch.iba.   After digging in, it appears any subfolder / file created under the parent folder, Private, gets the default user group added with Special permissions.  When I check the parent folder, Private,  it doesn't have the users group listed under the security tab, and if I go under advanced -> change permisions -> replace all child objects... it doesn't remove the users group on the sub folder / files.  Once the root share was created all changes have been with the admin user connecting from a Win7 PC.  I also have a RN2120 with 6.9.3, and I see the same results.  Please advise on why the users group is getting applied with special permissions when the files are created?  Thanks,  akaUsers_Special Permissions..PNGUsers_Special Permissions_edit.PNG

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3
aka_BoB
Aspirant

Re: built in Users Group getting special permissions added to files and folders created under Paren

So I've been working on this some more and realised that the users group with special permissions is getting applied since both ch.iba and casthouse user are in the users group.  If I create two random groups and put each user in a different group, then that group instead of users gets the special permissions and the casthouse user can't delete files created by ch.iba.  Now I'm really trying to understand where the permission is coming from - is this related to samba?  As this is the only protocol that's enabled. 

Thanks, 

aka

Message 2 of 3
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: built in Users Group getting special permissions added to files and folders created under Paren

Hi @aka_BoB

Welcome to the Community!

It seems that it is a normal behavior adding the group where the user is included. It might be worth it to use Network access permissions for the 2 users rather than setting in on file level.

Have you tried resetting the permissions?

Regards

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements