× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

disk expansion x-raid ReadyNAS NV+ v2, raidiator 5.3.13

FePhoenix
Aspirant

disk expansion x-raid ReadyNAS NV+ v2, raidiator 5.3.13

Was 4x 3tb drives.  Removed #1, installed a 4tb. Waited for sync complete. Repeat with 2, 3, and 4.  No change in available space (still 8tb, expected ~11tb).  What's going on, how to fix?

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: disk expansion x-raid ReadyNAS NV+ v2, raidiator 5.3.13

@FePhoenix wrote:

Was 4x 3tb drives.  Removed #1, installed a 4tb. Waited for sync complete. Repeat with 2, 3, and 4.  No change in available space (still 8tb, expected ~11tb).  What's going on, how to fix?

Did you reboot after the firsy resync completed?

Try rebooting now.

Message 2 of 10
FePhoenix
Aspirant

Sorry, I guess I was less than complete in the original post.  All disk swaps happened power-off (shutdown, swap a disk, power-up, wait a day for resync, repeat...). No, I hadn't rebooted after the last swap/resync.

Tried a power-off reboot as soon as I saw this, got a little popup that it saw more space and would use after the reboot. Nope, still 8tb.  Now it's in another resync (I told it to restart again, but also scan the drives).  Guess we'll see the results tomorrow at the end of the resync.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@FePhoenix wrote:

Now it's in another resync

That should be the resync needed for the new 4x1TB RAID group.  After the resync completes the volume should expand.

Message 4 of 10
FePhoenix
Aspirant

4x1tb?  I hope that's a typo, or references the added space rather than total...  4x4tb is what's there.  🙂

From what I've read so far, this will expand "c", not become a "new" volume, correct?

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@FePhoenix wrote:

4x1tb?  I hope that's a typo, or references the added space rather than total...  4x4tb is what's there.  🙂

No, it's not a typo, and it is talking about the added space.  You had a 4x3TB volume with only one RAID group (4x3TB RAID-5)  before.  To use the extra space,  the system needs to create a second RAID group using the added space (4x1TB RAID-5).  After that is created and synced, the system will concatenate the two RAID groups, and finally it will expand the file system.

@FePhoenix wrote:

From what I've read so far, this will expand "c", not become a "new" volume, correct?

Correct.

Message 6 of 10
FePhoenix
Aspirant

Grrr.  Resync finished, still 8tb. Reboot (no scan): still 8tb, but was unprotected; disk 4 failed. Reseated disk 4, it detected it and called it a *new* disk, and is now resyncing - again. Guess I should have turned it off before reseat, but I don't think it would have mattered.

Will advise results when it's done. 

Beginning to think I'm going to have to move all data off it, reset and start over. I hope not

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@FePhoenix wrote:

Guess I should have turned it off before reseat, but I don't think it would have mattered.

I don't think it mattered either, and I think it is wise to resync if the system thought the disk had failed.

I suggest downloading the log file and looking at the SMART stats for the disk.

Message 8 of 10
FePhoenix
Aspirant

It's at ~65% resync.  Looks like it "lost" and "found" disk 4 during the day, after it sync'd.  Found log entries saying the filesystem expansion failed.  Downloaded file can't be uploaded as it's a zip and the board doesn't like zips. How to get it to you?.

The popup SMART data *seems* okay... I could be missing something

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@FePhoenix wrote:

Downloaded file can't be uploaded as it's a zip and the board doesn't like zips. How to get it to you?.

You shouldn't post the log zip publicly, as there is some information in there that is best kept more private.

I suggest PMing (private message) one or more of the Netgear mods, and asking them if they are willing to check the logs.  @Marc_V@JohnCM_S@evan2 are a couple you could ask.  Normally you'd send them the logs over email, but another option is to put the zip file in cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc) and PM them a link.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements