× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: eth0 greyed out

Jeff-Friend
Aspirant

eth0 greyed out

Hi,

I have a RN31600 which is still in warranty. 

I have noticed eth0 is greyed out on the Admin page. The link lights are on, on both the NAS and the switch and they are flashing like normal.  I can assign an IP address and it is still grey and I cannot ping it. If I use DHCP, it does not get an IP address. I CAN ping the second nic no problem.

Both nics have brand new slim Cat6 cables in them.

Is this a known issue? Or is this a hardware issue?

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Jeff-Friend

Welcome to the Community!

What firmware are you running? You can try to shutdown your NAS for a few minutes then boot normally, there had been issues with RN20 series NIC getting disabled but not with other models and shutting it down to cool down the NIC is a work around and it is now fixed on the latest firmware so if you are not on the latest updating it is also advisable.  If you are not comfortable with SSH, you can try doing OS-Reinstall.

The link lights are on so the NIC should be enabled, hopefully it's not a hardware issue but since you are still in warranty and OS-Reinstall did not help, contacting Support is a good way to request for RMA i it is a HW issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Reads like a connmand problem under the hood, probably not properly recognizing the interface is up and active (some chance it might be hardware) or the config requires some fix or reset.

Worth a try is to enable the root access, unplug and replug the Ethernet interface, login by ssh and rood (not admin, but same password) and check the console output using # dmesg

Message 2 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Jeff-Friend

Welcome to the Community!

What firmware are you running? You can try to shutdown your NAS for a few minutes then boot normally, there had been issues with RN20 series NIC getting disabled but not with other models and shutting it down to cool down the NIC is a work around and it is now fixed on the latest firmware so if you are not on the latest updating it is also advisable.  If you are not comfortable with SSH, you can try doing OS-Reinstall.

The link lights are on so the NIC should be enabled, hopefully it's not a hardware issue but since you are still in warranty and OS-Reinstall did not help, contacting Support is a good way to request for RMA i it is a HW issue.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 3 of 4
Jeff-Friend
Aspirant

Hi,

I did a reboot about an hour after I posted the question an dnow both links are active.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Jeff

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements