× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

for a non-home share which is largely static should checksums be turned on (bitrot)

BotanyBay
Tutor

for a non-home share which is largely static should checksums be turned on (bitrot)

Rebuilding a Pro 6 running 6.6.0 with 3GB of memory and stock processor

I assume that turning on bit rot protection (CoW) is a reasonable thing to do.

I also assume that it is transparent to the end user (i.e. compares of actual file sizes and checksums for the files are unchanged as it lives in OS based metadata and is not part of things like backups)

I am running a 6 drive Xraid2 with single redundancy

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: for a non-home share which is largely static should checksums be turned on (bitrot)

@BotanyBay wrote:

It is transparent to the end user - unless it finds a corrupted file that it can't repair.  In that case it won't allow you to access the file.

My advice is to turn it on for shares that have snapshots enabled.  If a share isn't suitable for snapshots (one example is a torrent download folder), then I'd leave it off.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: for a non-home share which is largely static should checksums be turned on (bitrot)

@BotanyBay wrote:

It is transparent to the end user - unless it finds a corrupted file that it can't repair.  In that case it won't allow you to access the file.

My advice is to turn it on for shares that have snapshots enabled.  If a share isn't suitable for snapshots (one example is a torrent download folder), then I'd leave it off.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements