× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: frontview cannot login

abs52
Aspirant

frontview cannot login

Hi All

I am having an issue with frontview, i cannot login,

- SSH still works
- Share still work ( AFP,SMB,CFS)

in the logs for /var/log/frontview/error.log

i get this

[Wed Nov 09 20:40:31 2011] [error] [client 192.168.0.9] PAM: user 'admin' - invalid account: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.

please help

thanks
Adam
Message 1 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have any addons installed?

Have you been installing things via SSH (e.g. using apt-get or dpkg)?

What version of RAIDiator is shown in /var/log/raidiator_version ?
Message 2 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

Hi

I have some addons installed but nothing new, this only started last night,
i got an email yesterday afternoon saying that a sync was happening, and then i had a power cut do it had to restart, since then i cannot acces the front view
i do have ssh installed which i did a while ago via the dpkg ( that addon from the readynas webstie)

here is the output from /var/log/raidiator_version

RAIDiator!!version=4.01c1-p8,time=1314924646

i appriacted all the help
Message 3 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That means you're on 4.1.8 (latest firmware)

You say in another thread you removed PHP5. Had you tried to access Frontview after removing PHP5 but before the power cut?

How much data do you have on the device? It could be best to backup all your data, then do a factory reset and reload data from backup and manually re-configure, install add-ons etc. A factory reset on 4.1.7 or later (e.g. 4.1.8 your NAS is running) will give you 4k sector alignment which will be useful when you move to using 2TB disks.

If you don't want to do that you might want to open a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support) and see if they can help.
Message 4 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

It did not work after PHP5 was removed

could i try and do an OS flash, i saw on another thread that it worked
Message 5 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OS/firmware re-install might work.

Some other suggestions you should probably try first are here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=56019
Message 6 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

abs52 wrote:
It did not work after PHP5 was removed
could i try and do an OS flash, i saw on another thread that it worked

Before doing an OS reinstall, try the following in an SSH shell on your ReadyNAS:

rm /etc/frontview/apache/addons/*php*
apache-ssl -f /etc/frontview/apache/httpd.conf -k restart

If the last line produces some error messages, please post them here again.

-Stefan
Message 7 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

Hi

When i run the first command i get " rm: No match." and the second i get "apache-ssl: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.0.7 for ServerName"

in my /etc/frontview/apache/addons/ i have

BITTORRENT.conf READYNASPHOTOS.conf TRANSMISSION.conf nasmonweb.conf.old
NOLED.conf READYNASREMOTE.conf ftpwhoweb.conf transmissionweb.conf

and more ideas??

thanks
Message 8 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Basically that means your FrontView should be up and running at https://192.168.0.7/admin ... what happens if you try to access that link?

-Stefan
Message 9 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

I get the login promtp but then i enter admin and the username and my password ( which i reset thinking i might have got it wrong using the reset password page)
but then it just gives me an error

This webpage is not available
The webpage at https://192.168.0.7/admin might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 9 (net::ERR_UNEXPECTED): Unknown error.
Message 10 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

also to add if i run following i get this

etc/init.d/frontview restart
Stopping frontview: apache-sslStarting frontview: apache-sslapache-ssl: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 192.168.0.7 for ServerName
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C")
Message 11 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

It's not really a good idea to run the /etc/init.d/frontview script from the console. In my opinion you should try to restart your ReadyNAS so that every service is started as it should and then try again to access FrontView. The web server config file is fine as it seems so there shouldn't be any problems. Just refrain from calling /etc/init.d/frontview manually. If you need to restart the web server use the command I mentioned some posts earlier.

-Stefan
Message 12 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

just done a restart ( 2 actually) and still no joy

anything i should look at, any logs etc ?
Message 13 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Try /var/log/frontview/access.log and /var/log/frontview/error.log

-Stefan
Message 14 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

my access log has this

192.168.0.16 - admin [10/Nov/2011:22:01:57 +0000] "GET /admin HTTP/1.1" 401 401 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/535.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/15.0.874.106 Safari/535.2"
127.0.0.1 - - [10/Nov/2011:22:06:50 +0000] "GET /" 400 454 "-" "-"

and the error log

[Thu Nov 10 22:01:22 2011] [error] [client 192.168.0.16] PAM: user 'admin' - invalid account: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
[Thu Nov 10 22:01:57 2011] [error] [client 192.168.0.16] PAM: user 'admin' - invalid account: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
Message 15 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Wow, that looks a bit messy. Well if you want to I can have a look using Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com). Other than that I'd say it's time for a firmware re-install (NOT a factory reset, please!).

-Stefan
Message 16 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

teamviewr sounds good, what do i need to do?
Message 17 of 22
abs52
Aspirant

and much appriacted
Message 18 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Install Teamviewer, fire it up and send me the credentials you see on the screen via PM.

-Stefan
Message 19 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Now this was interesting. I don't really think any add-on was the problem here. Somehow the system was set to using shadow-passwords and FrontView's password scheme just couldn't cope with that. Everything else was fine. Anyone got an idea when/how the system will change itself to using shadow passwords?

-Stefan
Message 20 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Was an x86 config backup restored by mistake onto the system?
Message 21 of 22
WhoCares_
Mentor

Don't know, haven't looked around on the network for when I'm on remote systems I try to stick to the job as closely as possible. It's their data not mine so I'm not snooping 😉 But I don't think so for all the backup files from an "upgrade to shadow" were present. So it was easy to revert, luckily.

-Stefan
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements