Regular Contributor

hard drive upgrade (replace existing)

I have a NV+ that has 4x750GB drives configured as XRaid and running v4.1.5. FYI, I never expanded their capability to the additional 40gb. In any case, I am about to replace the 4 drives with 4x1.5TB Seagate drives. I just read the manual and couldn't find reference to upgrades, only replacing failed drives. I want to assume the process is the same but would rather ask the questions first. So here are my questions;

1 - can I only replace one drive at a time?
2 - when i replace them, does it matter from which position I start?
3 - as the 4 drives are 81% full, approximately how long will the process take per drive?
4 - are there any gotchas or tips to share?

I'm on my way to pick up the drives that just arrived at my UPS Store address. I expect all the answers when I return Smiley Wink Ok, just kidding ... but of course you can imagine I'm excited to tackle this as soon as I'm comfortable with what I need to know.

Thanks to all in advance for the assistance!

David
Regular Contributor

Re: hard drive upgrade (replace existing)

1. Yes, only one drive at a time.
2. I would start with the first drive, but there's should be no difference.
3. It could take up to a day per drive for re-sync, so the whole process could take 2-4 days.
4. Don't forget that you won't get the extra space right away, after you replace the first two drives, you will need to reboot a few times.
ReadyNAS Pro Business w/6x1TB WD EADS drives
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! Smiley Happy I've received the drives, double checked serial numbers on Seagate's website to ensure the firmware is ok and now ready to go... then though, do I need to power down to replace the drives? Can I just take it out of the system and go? I know it is hot swap capable. Just doesn't feel right doing that with a healthy drive Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Do the hotswap. No reason to bring the NAS down to replace the drive. Just follow the prompts on the NAS' display carefully as you go.
Regular Contributor

Thanks ... I'm on my way. The NAS repoted 13-14 hours to initialize the drive but Frontview is telling me about 6 hours. 14% done and 5:40 to go Smiley Happy

So, when it's done initializing I assume it needs to restripe the data next?

BTW, is the system unusable while this process is happening or otherwise recommended not to be used? Will I slow the process down if I'm using it (its mostly used for streaming media in my home).

Thanks again
David

bollar wrote:
Do the hotswap. No reason to bring the NAS down to replace the drive. Just follow the prompts on the NAS' display carefully as you go.
Regular Contributor

Frontview is showing the Seagate 1.5TB drive as 1397GB. Is this correct?
Regular Contributor

The first drive completed both processes (init & sync) with no problem. I then pulled drive #2 and started the same process. About 5 minutes into the init, a pop up message was received from Frontview letting me know that I needed to conduct a resynch by clicking the 'resync volume' button in the readynas volume settings/raid configuration tab. However, this button is greyed out. The raid status continues to show initialization happening (now at 3%). As this happened, the LCD on the ReadyNAS stopped showing me the init % and went back to the standard space availability display. The new drive #2 light continues to flash rapidly.

here is the first message in the log when I inserted the new #2 drive:

Sat Apr 18 06:16:33 EDT 2009 Disk initialization started. The estimated time of completion is 13 hour(s) and 14 minute(s), at which time you will be notified via email. You can also check the progress in Frontview in the Volumes -> RAID Settings tab. Please do not shutdown the system while the initialization is in progress.

Here is the next message received shortly a minute later, after init started:

Sat Apr 18 06:17:52 EDT 2009 A SATA reset has been performed on one or more of your disks that may have affected the RAID parity integrity. It is recommended that you perform a RAID volume resync from the RAID Settings tab ( accessible in the Volumes page => Volume tab in FrontView ). The resync process will run in the background, and you can continue to use the ReadyNAS in the meantime

Did something happen here? This is different than what I saw during the first drive replacement. During that process, i did not get the pop up to resync until after init and even then it told me the init was completed successfully and was now going to do the resync and started on its own. In the case of drive 2, the init just started, the pop is telling me to manually do a resync, resync button is greyed out and the LCD display is not showing the init process and % complete. Frontview is reporing however that the init is continuing and the percentage is incrementing.

Am I ok here?

Thanks!
David
Respected Contributor

I expect the data is okay. I suggest that the information in Frontview is correct and you should let it complete what it's doing. After that, the Health page will let us know what's going on.
Regular Contributor

You are doing fine, let it finish, it will tell you when it's ready.

1397GB is also correct.
ReadyNAS Pro Business w/6x1TB WD EADS drives
Regular Contributor

Thanks to you and others for your responses. The drive completed init in about 4 hours and now 23% through sync. I hope documenting this process helps some others in the future wanting to upgrade! Smiley Happy

So, I'm also thinking that after I get done with this second drive I'm going to wait 48 hours before I start the 3rd and then another 48 until I start the 4th. The thought is burn in time. I would hate to see that I have a bad batch of drives especially after being stable for the last 2 years with the drives I'm pulling out.

Am I crazy and overly conservative? Should I just go for it?

nvladik wrote:
You are doing fine, let it finish, it will tell you when it's ready.

1397GB is also correct.
Discussion Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Top Contributors
User Kudos Count