× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

iTunes home server

Oosty
Tutor

iTunes home server

I use a macmini as my iTunes home share server, but it’s old and getting slow with the amount of movies and tv Shows I have purchased. I am looking to replace it with a nas but unsure which one will do what I need, I in basic looking for a nas that will store and share the movies and music so that my iMac iTunes, my Apple TV and my iPad can see all the files and play them as if the where being shared from my macmini iTunes home share service.

i am looking at the ReadyNAS 214 but unsure if it will do what I need.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: iTunes home server

@Oosty wrote:

i am looking at the ReadyNAS 214 but unsure if it will do what I need.

It won't - and competing Linux-based NAS won't either.

You need the home sharing feature to do what you want, and that's only available in the Apple iTunes servers.  All Linux NAS use reverse-engineered open-source, and that simply doesn't have that feature.

Message 2 of 4
Oosty
Tutor

Thank you for that answer, so what does the iTunes server service on these NAS’s do then?

it seems to be a mis direction to a iTunes Server.

Robin

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

You can connect to it from other iTunes servers, and play the media from there.  But those other servers need to be running on a mac or windows PC.  

Personally I use plex (which has an iOS app, and which I believe can be loaded onto the most recent apple TV).  I augment that with resilio sync (downloading some content to my iPad and my Android phone for local playback).

FWIW, the feature goes back to before home sharing came along.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements