× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

installed new router, now I can't access NAS

kmmcdonald
Aspirant

installed new router, now I can't access NAS

I have an RND2110 (among other network devices) connected via a Netgear switch to my PC. Another device connected to the switch is a new router. After installing the new router, the IP addresses of many of the attached devices changed, presumably, renegotiated by the new router (much to my surprise). I have this straightened out in most cases, but I can no longer access the RND2110. None of the Windows 7 or 8 PC's connected to the switch can access the NAS anymore.

When I run RAIDar, the device is found at the previous IP address, but when I attempt to browse the NAS via RAIDar, a timeout occurs.

How can I get my network PC's to be able to access the NAS again?

thanks

Keith
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: installed new router, now I can't access NAS

You obviously assigned static addresses. A better way is to reserve IP addresses in the router, which will then assign a consistent address to the device. Then if you change routers or networks, you don't lose connectivity.

You have two ways to proceed. The first one is to do an OS reinstall from the 2110 front panel. (Be careful NOT to do a factory reset). The OS re-install will set the IP address to automatic, and the password back to the factory default (which is likely "netgear1" for your NAS), assuming you have the original duo). Check here to confirm the precise model: http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how ... -or-nv-v2/ Again, assuming a v1, you will find the OS reinstall procedure on page 16 here: http://www.readynas.com/download/docume ... 6Dec11.pdf

Your other option is to do a direct connect - connecting the cable from the NAS directly to a PC. Then assign a static IP address to the PC, staying within the range used by your old network router. Then you will be able to get to frontview (https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/admin) and reconfigure the IP address of the NAS to automatic.
Message 2 of 11
kmmcdonald
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like the OS reinstall is the easiest way to go. However, the manual you referenced indicates that the OS reinstall will rewrite the OS on the disks. Will the other contents of the disks be preserved?
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Yes. The data, etc. should remain intact. Only the admin password and the IP configuration should be reset.
Message 4 of 11
kmmcdonald
Aspirant

Would another option be to configure the router's LAN DHCP server IP pool starting address to something that is in the range of what the IP addresses used to be (and then reset the router)?
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Not that setting, no.

For instance, if the new router is set to 192.168.1.x, and the old one was set to 192.168.0.x, you'd need to find the setting to change base address range of the router. It should then recompute the IP pool addresses (which you will want to adjust if you use static addresses, because you want to make sure there are no conflicts).

On my Netgear router the main address is simply called "IP Address"
Message 6 of 11
kmmcdonald
Aspirant

I think that I understand.

The base address (or admin address) of my old router (WRT54GL) was 192.168.1.1

If I change the base address of my new router (T-Mobile/ASUS) to match that of the old router, the DHCP range would presumably be recalculated to start at 192.168.1.2. This would put all new assignments in the range of the "old"assignments and would take effect if I reboot the router (I think).

Do you think that this is worth a shot?
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

That should work.
Message 8 of 11
xeltros
Apprentice

A router DHCP server gives IP only on the interface that has the same IP. On professional routers you can configure several IP addresses (my CISCO router serves 3 address ranges on the LAN because of that capability). If you have all the other devices on auto, then just change this IP address and you can leave it like this, the devices will get a new IP (perhaps after a reboot). However if you set addresses manually on those devices they won't be updated.
You could also use your computer with a static IP in the range of the NAS, directly link both devices via an ethernet cable (bypassing the router), connect the the admin interface, change the IP, then switch the PC back to auto.
Message 9 of 11
kmmcdonald
Aspirant

I changed the base IP address of the new router to match that of the old router. Now, everything works. Based on Stephen's advice, I shall reconfigure the ReadyNAS IP from static to dynamic. Thanks for all of your advice.
Message 10 of 11
Bellawyn
Aspirant

Re: installed new device, now I can't access NAS

Wanted to say a quick thank you to the participants on this thread. Had the same problem except was not replacing router, removed Fortinet 60C firewall, which sat behind my bridged router, with an ASUS wireless access point. Fortinet had a non-standard static IP address because of the SSL VPN configuration between two remote locations. Sold the business [and the Fortinet device] so reconfigured home network, which included our very-steady NAS-Duo [aka Elliott], who also had a static IP address.

Thanks to StephenB's stellar information, followed the instruction for the "direct connect" option to get back to the FrontView access to modify Elliott's IP address. For me, that was the easier option and appreciated that both were identified in the thread. Back up and running! Yeah!

Just wanted to stop in, wave and say a BIG THANK YOU for the assist!
Cheers! :wavey:
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements