× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: installer newer but not newest version of OS

funglenn
Luminary

installer newer but not newest version of OS

is there a way to move a unit up from 6.x to 6.6.0 but not the newest OS?   Please no debate on why.....

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, do a local update.

The Release Notes include a link to instructions on how to do this: ReadyNAS OS 6: Updating Firmware

Is this for your RN516?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, do a local update.

The Release Notes include a link to instructions on how to do this: ReadyNAS OS 6: Updating Firmware

Is this for your RN516?

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can download 6.6 here

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Firmware-Release-Notes/ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-0-now-available/m-p...

Then use webadmin page /system/settings to manually install the firmware.

Message 3 of 10
funglenn
Luminary

thanks! so glad i do not have to do a USB Restore or something more drastic.

This is for my "new" 516.  My old 516 is sitting in a corner as a book end.  Unhappy about Netgear's policies and I had sworn to not get another one based on what happened--however  my data is in their format and they make a good product. This one failed (my most expensive by far) but I have had owned 5 ReadyNAS units going back to NV+ models close to a decade ago.

Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If there is a hardware issue there is a 5 year limited hardware warranty for the original purchaser from an authorised reseller. We don't support hardware modifications e.g. CPU upgrades, memory replacement etc.

Message 5 of 10
funglenn
Luminary

nor do you sell replacement parts like most IT hardware provders--HP, Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Cisco, Brocade  etc...... they look at long term relationships with customers vs. Netgears post warranty "you are on your own" philosophy

Message 6 of 10
jak0lantash
Mentor

Just in case others look at this thread. There may be a specific upgrade path required, depending on what F/W version you come from, so please READ the release notes before uploading a F/W to your NAS!

The automatic update automatically follow the required steps, but "manually" installing a F/W obviously doesn't check that.

Message 7 of 10
funglenn
Luminary

Mdgm,

Just one FYI. I downloaded  R4toR6_6.6.0 from https://www.readynas.com/contributed/mdgm/r4tor6/  after the PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin.

everything worked and installed flawlessly, thank you.

However it updated from radiator 4.2.x to 6.6.1.  i double and triple checked the name of the file, and it was the R4toR6_6.6.0 not the newer one.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@funglenn wrote:

However it updated from radiator 4.2.x to 6.6.1.  i double and triple checked the name of the file, and it was the R4toR6_6.6.0 not the newer one.

I think I mentioned this on another thread.  Generally all those files are identical (despite the names).  It'd be cleaner if they were just deleted.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rather than have a broken link somewhere I have those link to the latest build. If you're going to run an unsupported OS you may as well put the latest build on.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements