× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

jumbo frames slow things down

FrankB2
Aspirant

jumbo frames slow things down

Hi,

I have a pc with NIC capable of doing Jumbo Frames (9K). It´s connected to a netgear GS108. The label of the GS108 says GS108GE and has serialnumb 21620C3H0025A.
On the netgear site it says this switch is supporting JF since serial numb starting 1DR or 127x5B or 127x5C.

My ReadyNas Ultra 2 is also connected to the GS108 and when not using Jumbo Frames a large .iso file coppies to the NAS with approx 55MB/sec.
When I turn on Jumbo Frames on both the PC and the NAS performance drops below 10MB/sec.

Which seems a bit odd ? Is there something wrong with the GS108 ?

Frank
Message 1 of 13
rdlm
Aspirant

Re: jumbo frames slow things down

I had similar issues: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51676&p=295250#p295250
I gave up. 😞
Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have the latest NIC drives installed on your PC?

Could you try a direct-connection using a known working Cat5e or newer ethernet cable to eliminate the switch as the issue? See http://sphardy.com/web/readynas/how-to-direct-connect-to-your-readynas/
Message 3 of 13
FrankB2
Aspirant

Yep - installed last drivers which are from Jan ´11.

I tried the direct connection as indicated to exclude the switch and the results are the same. My writing speed to the NAS is roughly the same as with the switch in between and when switching on the Jumbo Frames on PC and NAS the speed drops enourmously.

By coincidence I discovered this only happens on LAN port 1. When I plug into LAN port 2 there is no drop in speed (but also not an increase).

When I have the direct cable connection in place should I be able to do a possive 7000 bytes non-fragmented packet ping to the NAS ?
Message 4 of 13
rigveda_za
Aspirant

Hi folks

I went through a whole round of trouble shooting with my Windows 7 x64bit system and realised that Jumbo Frames actually significantly reduced performance. I went from 11MB/s - 5 MB/s to (after disabling it on both server and NAS) 20MB/s - 24MB/s!

So a warning to those out there with Windows 7, its seems that setting your ReadyNAS NV+ to Jumbo frames actually reduces performance.

I am running on RAIDiator 4.1.7 [1.00a043]

Maybe the ReadyNAS team can shed some light as to why this performance "feature" doesnt seem to work well on Windows 7?
Message 5 of 13
FrankB2
Aspirant

I can confirm that I'm also on W7 ULtimate x64.
Message 6 of 13
loquacious
Aspirant

I can also confirm this and I am also on W7 Ultimate x64
Message 7 of 13
Admiral1
Aspirant

Same issue with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits. Turning jumbo frames off improved my speed (avg 21 mb/second write).

All drivers are up to date (P5Q board).
Message 8 of 13
FrankB2
Aspirant

Is it possible that somebody from Netgear support provide a view to this ?
Thanks,
Message 9 of 13
doubleroll
Apprentice

I have the same issue with Win7 Ultimate 64bit. Latest NIC drivers, leaving jumbo frames off for now.
Message 10 of 13
Mahieu
Aspirant

I have a
Readynas nv+ v1 (RAIDiator 4.1.10 [1.00a043] )
prosafe switch (GSM7224)
pc under win7 64 home premium

the throughput is far better WITH than without jumbo frames, no doubt (at least for me...).
it was worse before, when the Jf was not activated on the switch (+/- frames size set to 1500), but since it is correctly set up, the throughput is far far far better (copying from my PC to the NAS: from 1,5MB w/o JF to 45/60 MB w. JF .....).

NB: JF must be supported AND correctly set up on every device you use: PC > switch or router > NAS etc..
Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you were only getting 1.5 MB w/o JF then there was something very wrong. 60 MB also seems out-of-line for a v1. Were you testing with a small file? Caching can sometimes make the speed measurements incorrect.

JF can help, but not always. The reason it can help is that JF reduces CPU/interrupt load on the end devices. Whether that matters or not depends on the NIC card features in the end device and the speed of the device. Also, most home routers don't support JF at all - usually you'll need a switch.
Message 12 of 13
Mahieu
Aspirant

my mistake, yes, rather 15MB MAX w/o JF 😉

But...., as I was writing my previous coment, I changed something in my config and....... now I am stuck again at 15MB/s MAX
>>> Noooooooooooo 😕

my config:
NV+: JF: on, MTU: 7936
Switch: Maximum Frame Size 7936
my PC (realtek Gig-E): JF on and max MTU : 7K (aslo tried 9K, no change).
between them: CAT3 cable (+/- cat6E / cat7, with a dedicated sat wire).

my transfers :
I send three files to my readynas simultaeously: 2,5MB by transfer....
simultaeously, I send another file to another NAS: 25MB (throughput has not changed for that NAS).
>> the problem should thus come from my readynas but I cannot understand/find the problem. this nas is really pissing me off........
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements